Monday, October 19, 2009

Lightening up an old favourite.

Yesterday when I was making dinner, I was trying to remember the first dish that I made - where I ate it in a restaurant and then tried to make it at home. I think, if memory serves me correct, it was Fettucini Alfredo. I used to love trying to perfect the dish each time I made it - I didn't make it that often, because I didn't know how to make a low fat version - all of the butter and cream and white pasta - is deelish, but oh so not good for the hips. If only I recognized that years sooner...

So all day I have been thinking of Fettucini Alfredo - dreaming of it and decided that I had to have it for dinner tonight. I had to have it tonight, but with some rules: I could only use what I had in the pantry and fridge, it had to be as low fat as 'I' could possibly make it, it had to be as healthiest as possible and it had to be delicious! 

I tried my best - I think that I succeeded - Chris will have to be the judge when he is home. 

Light it up - Fettucini Alredo
1 box of whole wheat linguini (this will make a whole lot of food!)
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 cloves of garlic - minced
2 tbsp of butter
1 tbsp of olive oil
2 tbsp of flour
1 can of fat free condensed milk
1/2 cup of skim milk
1/4 cup of low fat cream cheese
1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock
2 red peppers - julienned
2 cups of sliced mushrooms
1 cello bag of fresh spinach
1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan

My attempt at making this healthier was loading it up with vegetables - which is different from my olden days version - that just had chicken and mushrooms. I know that it seems like a lot of ingredients - but I wanted to try and make it as creamy as I could with out too much of the 'good' stuff.

Bake the chicken in a casserole dish - uncovered - with a little dash of water and ground pepper in a 425 oven for 40 minutes. Once it is cooked cut the chicken into thin strips. 

In a large skillet, heat the butter and olive oil over low to medium heat - add the garlic - saute the garlic for a minute (be careful you don't burn it - like I almost did) and then add the flour. Whisk the flour and butter to form a paste - and the slowly whisk in the condensed milk - the sauce will thicken - add the skim milk and then the cream cheese. You can then add the peppers and mushrooms and continue to cook. Depending on how thick the sauce is, you can then add the chicken stock - and get it to the consistency that you want it to be. Add the chicken to soak in all the creamy goodness. When you are about 2 minutes ready to have it all completed - add the spinach. I only let it cook for 2 minutes so that it doesn't wilt completely. Add in the parmesan - and you're done!



Serve it up - linguini on the dish first and then a nice generous serving of the sauce topped with fresh parmesan cheese.

I love the creaminess of the sauce, the chunkiness of the vegetables and chicken and the deliciousness of it all.

Chris rated this a 5!

Stay tuned for tomorrow's post - I have a delicious - and healthy recipe for brownies! Hello chocolate love.

That's it for me for tonight. It's been a day - and it's time that it's over.

Enjoy!

No comments: