Sunday, October 25, 2009

ING'ing it up kind of weekend


My attempt at a Fall wreath - it's definitely not an Auntie Marcia's masterpiece

Whirlwindy loo. Last couple of days - super busy - caught in a bit of a whirlwind - and now the weekend is almost over. Thankfully it was a good one - or I'd be losing my shi-ite. Whassup?? 

My weekend was full of visiting, celebrating, partying, stressing, birthday'ing, shopping and little sleeping.

Friday - visiting and celebrating - it was my 9 year anniversary at AbeBooks. 9 years!!!! I still can remember my interview, my first day - lots of good memories and a few not-so-good. To celebrate, I took my mom and Chris out for a nice dinner - my treat. 9 years ago - I wasn't really treating anyone. When I applied for my job as a Customer Support Rep - I said that I had extensive computer skills. Rrrrrighttt - I wasn't completely honest about that. I knew how to write up a paper in Word and how to check my email - but that was pretty much it. I worked very hard to try and not look like someone who didn't know how to turn my computer on. In time it paid off. I often wonder what I would have been doing if I didn't get a job there. 

Anniversary flowers from my Mom! Thanks Mom.

Saturday - stressing. Halloween - why do I let it get to me?? Anyways - Jenny's reminder of being Cavegirls back in high school - so that's what I did. I ran to the fabric store, bought a meter of leopard print material - called my mom - ran over and she sewed me up a costume in literally 15 minutes. It was great. THANKS MOM!!!! Chris went as a 'Ninja Annihilator' - don't ask. Zellers special. 

Saturday night - partying. Such a great Halloween party! There were some fantastic costumes - Octo-mom, Dr. Seymour Vagyna, Fred and Wilma, Kenny from Southpark, and so many more. I was the DD - I had two drinks (over a timframe of 4.5 hours) - we got home at 12:50 - way past my bed time - and I feel so burnt out and hung over today! What is up with that?? I purposely did not 'party' b/c I didn't want to be hung over this morning - and this what happens. Oh well - it was worth it, so much fun!

Birthday'ing - today we had a pre- party for Callum's birthday. We're going to miss his birthday - so we did dinner here tonight - so we could have cake and I could spoil him. I made his favourite chicken wings and prawns for appy's and then for dinner a big thai stir fry with coconut milk and rice noodles. Delicious. 

I wanted to do something a little different, so I served up the stirfry in the little paper boxes that traditional chinese food is served and we ate (well some of us did) with chop sticks. We ended the dinner with a delicious chocolate brownie cake - that I did not make :)

My-tie stirfry

This recipe is enough to feed 6 comfortably - I doubled it tonight and we still have lots left - and seconds were taken. I find this recipe so easy - and so tasty. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts - cut into thin strips
1 medium onion - chopped
4 cloves of garlic - minced
2 red peppers - chopped
2 yellow peppers - chopped
1 green pepper - chopped
2-3 cups fresh mushrooms - I used fresh button mushrooms - sliced are perfect too
1 small zucchini - julienned
1 bunch of bok choy - chopped 
1 can of coconut milk
Juice of half a lime
Hot sauce
1/4 cup of sweet chili sauce
1/3 cup of peanut butter
2 packs of rice noodles - each pack comes with 2 packs - so in total you will need 4

In a wok - or large frying pan - saute the onion in a small amount of olive oil. Cook the onions until they they are softened - don't forget give them a dash of kosher salt. Add the chicken and garlic and continue to cook over medium high heat - after a couple of minutes add the coconut milk, lime juice, hot sauce (how hot do you like it) and sweet chili sauce - stir in and continue to let it cook. After another couple of minutes add all of your vegetables except the bok choy. Continue cooking - once your vegetables are getting close to the consistency that you like - probably 10 minutes add in your bok choy - give it a good stir - and then add in your peanut butter. If you like the peanutty flavour add more. Then add your noodles. Mix continuously to ensure that the noodles break up. 

And that's it!!! This is one of Chris' favourites - so this dish is always rated a 5+.


Alrighty then - that's it for me for this evening. Only 3 more sleeps until my U2 - Dallas adventure - I'm getting so excited. 

Bring the week on - we can handle it - let's show us what we can do!

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: