Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sweet Sunday - and birthday wishes!!


First things first!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARGO!!!
AND 
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JENNY!!!

I hope you both had fabulous days.

What a great day. It was a truly lovely Autumn day - no rain - all sun. I was trying to capture the sheer beauty of the massive chestnut tree in our back yard, and our little red maple tree. I absolutely love the changing colours of the leaves - I know that I have said this before - but I really just love it.

I was pretty stoked to get my clothes all sorted today - another thing to cross off my list. If we ever move - our new house will have more closet space than we know what to do with. Sigh. Magnum needed to get in on the action - we got a cute pic of him.


Jules and I did our weekly shop at the Root Cellar - it's been months since we've done it together. I love the goodies that we can find there. Today I found fresh button mushrooms - I've never seen them fresh before - so delicious. I made a mushroom gravy with them for this evening's dinner - it turned divine.


I roasted a chicken - slightly different than what I normally do. I chopped up half an onion (the other half I used to make a very quick stuffing with celery, bread, poultry seasoning) in thin strips and put them in my roasting pan - placed the chicken on top of onions, drizzled a small bit of olive oil, added a bit of kosher salt and pepper, drizzled with a full fresh lemon and placed a few peeled garlic cloves on the chicken and underneath. About half way through, I added 1 cup of water to the pan - this will get all the onion and chicken juices ready for the gravy. The chicken was baked in a 425 oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes. The chicken turned out so moist.

For the gravy, I used the onions that were roasted with the chicken, and added them to my cast iron pan, that had a drizzle of olive oil. I sauteed the all of the mushrooms to the pan and sauteed them over high heat for about 5 minutes. I then added a 1/4 cup of white wine - deglazed the pan slightly, turned the heat down and continued to saute them. Once the mushrooms are starting to soften, add 1 tbsp of butter, let it melt in with the mushrooms and then add a heaping tbsp of flour. Mix the flour in, and then add the juices from the roasting pan - mix vigorously and your gravy will start forming. I added additional chicken stock - some fresh ground pepper, fresh thyme, and my gravy was ready.  Truly delicious. The mushrooms were little gems - juicy and full of flavour.

To go with our chicken and mushroom gravy, I roasted acorn squash and topped it with a sweet topping.  Cut the acorn squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and cook in a casserole dish (lined with aluminum foil - very easy clean up), bake along side the chicken in the 425 oven for about 40 minutes. When they are cooked, turn them over, and add the following: 1 tbsp of brown sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and a 1/4 tbsp of butter. Place them back in the oven, reduce the heat to 300 and let the butter and sugars all melt together. Chris loves this squash. The squash when it absorbs all of the sugar and cinnamon, it takes on the most amazing flavours!


I bought a few other goodies this week that I will try - I'll keep you posted.

I hope that you are all ready for a new week. Let's hope that it's a good one!

Enjoy.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Thanks so much for the birthday wish!!!