Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Turkey lurkey


I hope that you all had a fantastic Thanksgiving. I hope that you found happiness in a filling feast, friends and family, a long weekend and some lazing about.

Our Sunday night Thanksgiving dinner was lovely. It all went really smoothly and all of the dishes turned out deliciously. It was nice to have a small group - we were all able to sit around the table, visit and fill our bellies. 


I spent yesterday doing not much of anything. I felt like I was playing hookie or something - I have a really hard time just sitting around, watching tv, reading a magazine, surfing the net... I did a dog walk and made my turkey stock - but that was really about it. 

I am feeling a little full of turkey. Turkey sandwiches are my absolute favourite - can't get enough of those sangies. Last night we had Jules over for hot turkey sandwiches, and a bunch of veggies. Tonight I made turkey pot pie - probably the easiest pot pie recipe ever. I also have my cuz Margo's Turkey Ole recipe. 



Turkey Pot Pie
This is one of my sister's recipes that she gave me years ago and is one of Chris' absolute favourite dishes. It's simple - and you can use items in your pantry and the leftovers from the turkey dinner. The crust on top goes a lovely golden brown, and is soft and creamy. Here is what I did:

Pre-heat oven to 400.

2 cans of cream of mushroom soup - tonight I used one can of cream of broccoli and one cream of chicken (they were out of mushroom at the store) - also try and use the low fat/low sodium
2 cups of turkey - chopped
3 celery stalks - chopped
1 cup of carrots - very thinly chopped
1 cup of corn 
2 cups of mashed potatoes - I prefer the mashed potatoes than pieces of potatoes
Kosher salt and pepper and 1/2 tsp of poultry seasoning

Mix all of the above ingredients together in a large bowl and place in a casserole dish.

Topping:
1 egg
1/2 cup of milk
1 cup of Bisquik

Mix all together and pour over top of  your turkey filling.

Bake in your 400 oven for 30-35 minutes. And that's it! Serve warm with a fresh salad and you have a great dinner.



Cuz Margo - who I adore beyond words - sent me this recipe today. We chatted on the weekend - it had been far too long since we had chatted last - and she told me about Turkey Ole. I love just saying it. I am definitely going to give this a try. I did a similar dish with ground pork that we had left over from burritos - but I didn't use the same ingredients as this recipe - and my dish was definitely missing something.

Margo's Turkey Ole

In a rectangle casserole dish - cover the bottom with 3 tortillas.

The Filling:
Salsa
Sour Cream
Turkey
Cottage Cheese
Green onion
Peppers
Grated cheddar cheese

Mix together and cover the tortillas. Then cover with 3 more tortillas. Add shredded cheddar to cover. Bake - I'd say probably in a 350 oven - everything will melt nicely and it will be ready to serve. It sounds delicious!

Well that's it for me tonight. I need to hanga with Kung Fu Chris - eat a tiny piece of pumpkin pie and prep for another day tomorrow. 

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: