Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Undue stress - treated by chocolate brownies. Yes please!


Do you ever get stressed and then realize what you're stressing about is so ridiculous? I have many of those 'what the eff am I stressing about this for???' moments - I just wish that by the time that I have realized that I am stressing about something ridiculous - good quality time has passed. Sigh.

Right now I am stressing about what I am going to dress up as for Halloween. There are some genuine things going on in my life right now that I could validly be stressing about - but I think that I do a  pretty good job of managing my stress levels. 

We have a big party to go to on this weekend - Randy and Karen's annual Halloween party. Karen LOVES Halloween. She spends a week decorating, their house always looks so great. They don't do much for Christmas - so they consider this their major holiday. 

Every year I stress. This year I was kind of excited b/c I thought - we'll be in Dallas, so I'll miss the party - but really it's more like - damn, I'm going to miss the party but at least I don't have to dress up. GAh!!!!! Ok people, I need some help. I need some good ideas to dress up in. Last year I went as a witch, the year before a gypsy, the year before that a witch... see a trend?

Here are some ideas that I had: Julia Child, Backup singer, a couples costume with Chris - I would be H1 and he would be N1. Each year after Halloween, I am all committed to finding the best costume for the next year - and then I forget. And then October 1st rolls around and I start thinking of what I could do - and then the next thing I know it's the weekend before the party and I have nothing. See stupid stress. 

Ideas are welcome.

Ok, as promised here is the recipe for some relatively healthy brownies. One of my new favourite magazines is Food Network Magazine. I love the Food Network, so this is just another bonus and it helps feed my food magazines addiction. 

Anyways, this recipe is from October's edition. They were easy to make, are extremely moist and compared to a standard brownie recipe - much more healthier. Chris LOVED these. They were a 5 for him.

Double Chocolate Brownies

6 ounces of bittersweet chocolate - coarsely chopped (I cheated and used chocolate chips)
2 tbsp of butter
1 cup of whole wheat flour
3/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
4 large eggs
1 cup packed sugar
1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1/4 cup canola oil 
2 tsp vanilla 
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Pre-heat oven to 350. 
Melt the chocolate and butter in a heat proof bowl set over a saucepan of boiling water. Stir occasionally, don't let the bottom of the bowl touch the water.

Whisk the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda in a medium sized bowl. In a large bowl stir together the brown sugar and eggs until they are all smooth. Add the oil, yogurt and vanilla and stir to combine.  Whisk in the melted chocolate until it is blended fully.  Then add the dry ingredients and mix until everything is moistened. 

Spread the batter in the 9x13 inch pan (if it isn't a non-stick pan, they spray with cooking spray) and sprinkle with the walnuts. Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. 

These are delicious - they aren't the typical brownie - they're lighter and so rich. 

Ok - what I need you to take away from this post - is a deep thought of what I can be for Halloween - and then let me know :)

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I suck at Halloween ideas....Batman and Catwoman...Kate and Jon Gosselin...
Hey remember the year we went as cavegirls...was that to the Riverlodge??....
Betty and Barney....Obi Wan and Princess Leia(this would be fun).
Gavin is going as Obi Wan. He's wearing his brother's tae kwon doe uniform underneath...overtop a brown robe.
Hope you come up with some ideas.