Monday, November 30, 2009

Farewell November. I'll miss you.

Treats from cuzzie Margo - they make my kitchen!!

'Twas the night before December 1st. 
The house is semi decorated, the lights are all a glow.
I've been drinking iced tea to quench my thirst. 
The candy jar is full of chocolate, I have been saying 'no, no,no'.

Oh my. Can you tell it's been a long day?
I ended up staying home from work today - I was so bagged last night, and I think that I was too tired to sleep - ever have that happen? Anyways - it was a treat to have a bit of a sleep in. I spent quite a bit of time with Jules today - she is doing better. Still lots of pain and still issues with the bandages - but she has an appt. with the doctor on Thursday - so hopefully he'll set things straight.

I spent a big chunk of the evening trying to decorate the house. I'm almost done - still lots to do before my brother and his kids come for the weekend. Stress! Oh god - Halloween costume sort of stress. It's going to be a great visit, I just want to make sure that everything is organized for when they are here. They always stay with my mom, so I am looking forward to having them stay with us.

I thought that I would share one of my favourite Christmas decorations. I found this little tree at SuperStore about 4 years ago - and wasn't sure what to do with it. I decided to put it in the kitchen, and decorate it with little balls and mini cookie cutters. Since it's in the kitchen - it seemed appropriate. So, it sits in the corner - and I love it! 

On Friday when Chris was looking through my new Cooking Light cooking magazine, he came across a recipe for roast and potatoes - and he was a little 'colicky' because I don't make roast for him. So, I promised that I would make him on Sunday. And that's what I did. I didn't follow a recipe - I had an idea of how I wanted to make it. I have to say, that although I don't eat red meat, I had tastes of it and it turned out to be deeelish!

Roast Beef Sims Style

2 - 1 3/4 pound Top Sirloin Roasts
4 cups of potatoes - I used fingerling potatoes - no peeling or chopping
2 bunches of small carrots - peeled and cut into halves lengthwise
Fresh thyme
Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
Olive oil

Pre-heat oven to 400.

In a large roasting pan, add vegetables, and fresh thyme sprigs. Drizzle with olive oil - maybe 2 tbsp, kosher salt and pepper. With your hands, toss it all up and ensure that everything is coated. Add to the pre-heated oven and bake for 30 mins.

While the vegetables are cooking, you can prep your roasts. Pre-heat a cast iron skillet, or whatever type of skillet you like to use. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil. Pat the roasts with a paper towel to dry them off. Season one side of each roasts with kosher salt and pepper - place that side down in the skillet. Season each of the other sides just prior to putting that side down in the skillet. Don't forget each of the ends. Basically brown each side. By browning each side, this will ensure that all of the juices stay inside while they are cooking. This should only take about 10 minutes.

After the 30 minutes are up, place the roasts in the roasting pan with the vegetables. We cooked our roasts for about 45 minutes. During this time, we added 1/2 cup of water twice - at about 15 minutes each time. 

When the meat is as rare or well done that you like it, remove it from the pan, place on a plate and cover it with aluminum foil. Let all of the lovely juices sit inside before slicing it. 


To make the gravy - so super easy. Remove the potatoes and carrots from the roasting pan. Pour the meat juice into a small sauce pan. Heat at medium heat. In a measuring cup, add two tbsp of flour and about 1/2 cup of the juice from the meat. Whisk vigorously. Add this to the saucepan and whisk to prevent any sort of clumps. And that's it - so juicy, so delicious.

So, on this last night of November 2009 - I can't believe how time has gone by so fast. I just know that December is going to come and go so fast. Parties, presents, visiting with friends and family, lots of goodies, time off, and so much more. I hope that I can soak it all in and enjoy all of it. 

Good night.

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

For 5 days I've wondered what beautiful creations you have been making...
Hope all is well!
:)