Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I remember.

Remembering.

Another special Remembrance Day.  Although I don't really participate in any of the ceremonies, I did recognize the minute of silence at work today. I remember my great uncle Rob (secretly my favourite uncle) who was in WWII - who had a very difficult time when he came home and strongly relied on my grandma, his older sister, to nurse him back to a healthy state. I think of Chris' dad - who lied about being 18 at the age of 16 so that he could join the army. He was without parents, on his own and a career in the army was what he thought would be his best choice at a future. Without any sort of formal education, he received the highest rank for an enlisted man - obtaining CWO - Chief Warrant Officer. He was in the army for 36.5 years. If I get the chance to sit and talk with him - he has the most amazing stories. Chris has always been so proud of his dad - the army provided him with a stable and great life for him and his family.

I feel blessed to know men that helped with the freedom that we have today. 

I will always remember.

We had dinner with Jules tonight. Oh how I love being treated to one of my mom's dinners. Chris and I both love it. We always leave feeling like we've gained 10 pounds. We had one of her specialties - Stuffed Turkey Breast - check it out HERE. It was served with sweet potatoes that were topped with italian bread crumbs and a stir fry of wonderful vegetables.

She also treated us Rhubarb Cake. Hello!!! So delicious. I have made this recipe quite a few times - it's a lovely dessert. It's a great dessert to use for that frozen rhubarb taking up room in the freezer. It can also be made ahead and then put into the freezer for a later date. And... you can also switch rhubarb with apples - another delicious treat.

Jules' Rhubarb Cake

Crust:
2 cups of flour
1/2 cup butter
1/4 tsp of baking powder
1 beaten egg
Mix the baking powder into the flour and cut in the butter. Reserve 1 cup of the mixture so that you can use it for the topping. Add the beaten egg into the remaining flour mixture and flatten it into a 9x13 pan*.

Filling:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
4 cups chopped rhubarb
1/2 cup melted butter
2 beaten eggs

Mix all of the above ingredients together. Spread the mixture onto the crust. Sprinkle the reserved flour mixture on top. Then sprinkle with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. 

Bake at 359 for 50 minutes. 

*It is easy to double the recipe (and worth it, trust me you'll love it) and it will end up making 3 - 8x8 or 9x9 pans.

That's it!!! Mom, Chris rated this a definite 5!!!

Well my sweet friends - I am going to embrace the rest of the evening with my best friends and rest up for another couple of days that are left in this week. Can you hear that??? It sounds like a train, or a plane or a sleigh - but it's really the weekend...

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: