Monday, November 16, 2009

I think that soup and sandwiches can cure the rainy blues.

Rain, blah, rain, blah, rain, blah, rain, blah.....

That's how I'm feeling today. I am really tired of the rain. There are parts of the rain that I love: being in the house and hearing the rain on the roof; being inside and not having to go out in it - and that's about it. What I don't like about it: being wet; wet dogs; wet dog towels all the live long day; wet shoes; walking wet dogs; driving in the dark on a wet night; wearing a hood; trying to carry an umbrella a bag and a Starbucks all at the same time. Ok, I realize that I am sounding like a bit of a baby - a bit of a wet baby. It's just, I'm tired of it. I want some cold, crisp sunny days. Cold - cold as in need to wear a toque and a scarf - no more galoshes and rain gear. I know that the rain is good for us - it fills up the reservoirs - and there are places all over this world that would give anything for an hours worth of the rain that we are having - and I would gladly give it to them.

Did y'all survive the weekend? I survived mine - mostly b/c it was very, very un-action packed. I spent all day Saturday indoors (except for two dog walks) tidying, organizing... Ended the night by going to bed at 9. What??? I know - crazy - but it was just one of those days. Sunday - I had big plans. I was so excited - I bought new bedding in the summer and had planned to finally take it out of the packaging - and with a clean room - it was going to be so nice to have new, fresh bedding. I took the duvet cover out of the packaging - and it was COMPLETELY different from what I thought it would be. I thought it was a grey colour with little designs that were a dark smokey purple, cream and silver. It wasn't. It turned out that it was striped with white and chocolate brown. Hideous. Sigh. So... hopefully they will take it back - even though I don't have the receipt any longer. My own fault - I should have taken it out of the bag as soon as I got home. Grrr.


Anyways - let's get on to what's for dinner tonight. I had a bunch of tri-coloured potatoes - beautiful yellow, red and purple. I also had some bacon left over from Friday night's dinner - and because of the downpours we're having - I thought soup was a good choice for dinner. I also found a recipe a couple of week's ago for pulled chicken sandwiches - so it was a Soup and Sandwich sort of night. 


Potato and Bacon with chives soup

1 onion
1 1/2 cups of chopped bacon - into small pieces
5 cups of chopped pieces of potato - chopped into small pieces - I had the small nugget potatoes that I cut in half, then in half and then in half again.
1/2 tsp pepper flakes
1 carton of chicken stocks - @ 3 cups
1/2 cup skim milk
1/3 cup of chopped chives
Shredded cheese for garnish

In a large pot, saute the onion in olive oil over medium heat for about 8 minutes. Add the bacon and continue to cook, stirring often.  Cook for about another 10 minutes. Add potatoes and heat thoroughly for about 10 minutes. Add pepper flakes. Add the chicken stock and let simmer until potatoes are soft. With a hand blender, or blender, puree the potatoes - puree it until the consistency that you like. I like to try and puree it fully with just small pieces of potatoes. Add the milk, stir, and then add the chives - and that's it! It's all ready to serve. 
I added a small amount of shredded gruyere - it was extremely tasty!!

Pulled chicken sandwiches

3 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp prepared mustard
1 tbsp cider vinegar
3/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground pepper
8 boneless skinless chicken thighs - cut into 2 inch strips
Buns

Add all of the ingredients (except the buns) into a medium sized saucepan. Bring the ingredients to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan - leave the juice - and use two forks to shred the chicken. Return the chicken to the sauce and mix thoroughly. Serve with a whole wheat bun - with a slice of pickle - and you have a delicious sandwich. If you love cumin - you will love this.

I didn't add the sauce to the chicken - but did when I made Chris' sandwich - so if made 'correctly' the chicken has a lovely sauce with it.

After this hearty and warm dinner - I felt better. I couldn't hear the rain over the furnace. I couldn't see the rain b/c it's too dark on our street. And I wasn't wet - just full from a delicious dinns!

Well folks - that's it for me. I am going to go and dry the last dog blanket, dry off Jozie's jacket (don't ask - she hates it - I will ask her if I can post her pic - she does NOT like it), hang with Christoff and then hit the hay.

Loves. 

Enjoy!

No comments: