Sunday, November 29, 2009

Up Update.


Day 2 of Jules' recovery. Bless her heart - she is doing well. It was a bit of a long night - and a bit of an early morning - but I can't complain as I don't have 2 major wounds on my body that will take some time to heal. We had to head to Emergency this AM - and spent 'some' time there - her bandages were covered in blood and I was nervous about taking them off to replace them - so after a call to 811 (they are fabulous there) we headed to Emerg - and after a wait, her leg bandage was all cleaned up. 

I will be so happy once she heads back to the Surgeon for an appt to take off all the bandages and then have them changed on a daily basis. 

I know that my mom is loved (not just by me and my family) but all of her neighbours have been so fantastic - they have been dropping by bringing flowers, plants, cards and worrying about her. It's been nice for her, but also for me to see. It is reassuring for me to know that she has support nearby if needed. Her sister is visiting for a couple of days - which we will be a huge help.

Throughout the past couple of days, I have been doing what I like to do best - cook. Last night I made a couple of baked spaghettis. I wish that I had taken a picture. I love baked spaghetti. It's a super easy dish, and freezes nicely too. I made this at my mom's so I didn't have all of the spices that I normally did - but it turned out delicious. Try and envision it as I write up the recipe. This recipe made enough for 2 large casserole dishes.

Baked Spaghetti

Pre-heat the oven to 400

1 and a half boxes of whole wheat spaghetti - cook to el dente 
3 lbs of ground chicken
1 large onion - chopped
2 large peppers - chopped
1 small zucchini - chopped
2 cups of mushrooms - sliced
3 cloves of garlic - minced
2 (small) cans of diced tomatoes
2 large jars of spaghetti sauce - try and find flavours that you like - Healthy Choice makes some delicious brands
Grated cheese - enough to cover the top of the dishes 

In a large skillet saute the onion with a sprinkle of kosher salt (Jules has kosher - heyoh!). Saute until translucent - about 8 minutes. Add the ground chicken. Cook for about 10 minutes and then add all of the fresh vegetables and garlic. Continue to cook for about another 5 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes and add any spices that you like. I added dried basil - it made the dish really fragrant. Then add one of the jars of tomato sauce. When the sauce is at the consistency and the taste that you like, the dish is almost ready. I like to add a pinch of sugar - it helps take some of the acidity of the tomatoes away. 

Use the other jar of spaghetti sauce (right from the jar) to cover the bottom of the casserole dishes. Then add the spaghetti to the dishes - evenly distributed to both dishes. Then top the spaghetti with the spaghetti sauce. Cover the spaghetti sauce with the shredded cheese. Then spray some cooking spray* on a piece of aluminum foil, and cover the dishes with the foil and bake for 20 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes. 

*Cooking spray - something that I never have in my kitchen - but one of those treat type of things that moms always have.

And that's it. It's a delicious dish - kids will love it.

Stay tuned tomorrow for the roast beef dinner that I made tonight - a quick trip home to make Chris his favourite feast that I never do.

Loves.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm so glad your mom is doing good. I did think of you guys a few times this weekend,hoping everything was going okay.
I have never tried baked spaghetti, but I think I'm going to in the next couple of days...looks delish!

Steph said...

Good news all 'round, C. Mitchell. Glad to hear it!
Steph