Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Welcome to the clan, little one.

On this wickedly wet and windy Wednesday, there is very exciting news - my cuz Marsha and her husband are proud new parents to a wee baby boy! Congratulations!!!! Mom and baby are doing well. I actually had a dream the other night that she had a baby boy. And just before I found out she was pregnant, I had a dream that she had just had a baby girl. Psychic? Well maybe just a bit. Wink. Anyways - welcome to the world you little bundle of hope, joy and love. We are so proud to have you as a member of the family.

Great day today! Not sure what it was - perhaps the lack of rain? Perhaps b/c they didn't have any Passion Tea at my local Starbucks so I had a non-fat, half-sweet Caramel Brulee Latte - the caffeine might have given me the buzz that I was needing. If you have a chance to try one - I recommend it. Oh god - don't look at the calorie count - thankfully I did the half-sweet. 


The pups and I have been having great walks around the hood lately. I need to do a day walk and bring my camera with me - and capture some of the great shots that I am seeing. Tonight's walk was exceptional. Even though there is a wind warning in effect - and half way through the walk I realized that falling branches or roof shingles could fling off and hit me in the head - I was very excited to see Christmas lights slowly going up on the neighbourhood houses. I LOVE Christmas lights. I love how they flicker, I love how they can make the worst house on the street look like a million dollars, I love the colours, I love the anticipation of the Christmas season among us... oh how I love. 

When I was 12, I came home one very snowy night after being at Gail Dray's for supper. Her dad drove me home, and as we turned onto our street, I saw the most beautiful house on the street. It had alternating blue and red Christmas lights going around the front and sides of the house. The large pine tree on the side of the driveway was lit up with multi-coloured lights. It was amazing. And best of all, it was my house. I seriously thought it was the most beautiful thing that I had ever seen. I am not exaggerating when I say - that I can remember that night like it was yesterday. And as I write this, I have chills remembering how proud I was to have the most beautiful lit up house on my street. My dad had spent a good portion of the day switching up the lights and stringing them.  It was pure art.

I am not sure if my dad ever knew the impact of that winter night. I hope he did. It was so special for me. I think that because of that night, and because I can remember it so clearly, that this is why I love all the lights at Christmas. It's also probably why, when I drive through town and see houses lit up, or walking through my neighbourhood and see the colourful lights - they bring tears to my eyes. And as I write this, and I picture my old house's lights, and think of my dad surprising us, I have tears in my eyes. 

See Christmas - you do this to me every year.

Tonight's dinner was a Slow Cooker special. Chris was home today, so I hooked the 'ol girl (or is it a boy) up and started dinner at 7:30AM - to have it ready for me when I got home. 

Slow Cooker Pork Sirloin
5 pork sirloin (steaks) - cut in half - season with kosher salt and pepper
1/2 bottle of Diane's Original BBQ sauce 
1/4 cup of sweet chili sauce - if you don't have any on hand - omit it - no worries
Dashes of hot sauce - how hot do you like it?
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce  
3 cloves of garlic - peeled and coarsely chopped

Add all of these ingredients together, place them all in the slow cooker turn it on and let it do all the work for you.

I served the pork with rice that I 'doctered' up.


I had left over rice that I put in a pot and then added the juice from the slow cooker. I then added a can of white kidney beans, corn and peas. It turned out to be a hearty dinner.

Well that is it for me for tonight. I hope that you dream of Christmas lights - and they trigger happy memories for you.

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Oh crap, you know how to make me cry!
What a beautiful post! What a beautiful gift(eventhough he probably didn't intend for it to be one, but it was!) a dad could give his daughter...a twinkly, sparkly house.