Sunday, November 8, 2009

Yumma yams.

Our cuties - cuddling - Magnum loves it - Jozie is wondering if she should stay or go.

It seems like Friday night was just last night - why do weekends go by so fast?

I have had a great weekend - it's been a full one. Action packed. 
Yesterday - Jules and I hit the mall - and I found my dress for my work Christmas party! I was so excited. I wasn't looking for it at all - which is the best time to buy something. Typically I would be stressed out to the max (similar to Halloween) struggling to find something the night before. Here a sneak peak!
This is not a colour that I would ever consider - but I actually really love it. It's a little too big in the boobie area - so I'll have to have it altered. So, now I just have to think of shoes - any suggestions? 

Matthew Good last night. Meh. I like his music - but in all honesty Chris and I found the show to be lacking energy. He came out - barely spoke - sang his songs - and that was it. It was at the McPhearson Theatre - so it was an intimate setting - but it just wasn't the best show. There was a woman in front of me that I pretty much think was wearing a bottle of perfume - and her bf was trying way too much PDA (gag).

This morning I was up early for a dog walk - it was a gorgeous morning. Unlike yesterday's dog walk - we got caught in a torrential down pour - and got soaking wet. After that, Jules and I headed to the Root Cellar, then to watch a bit of Callum's hockey game, and then off to Broadmead Village for a bit of shopping. I found a few things - some Christmas decorations (it's just around the corner), a new Epicurean Cutting Board, a new whisk and another wooding spoon. It was a great day - full of adventures - lots of laughs - thanks Mom!!


Tonight's dinner was taken out of November's Cooking Light. I found the recipe on Friday night - and was very excited to try it. It wasn't a hard recipe - but it did take a bit of time. Your multi-tasking will come in handy. It was a delicious dish something that I will definitely make again.

Yam and Butternut Squash Gratin
Ok - before I get into the recipe - the recipe actually called for 'Sweet Potatoes' - but any time that I am watching a cooking show - when they refer to sweet potatoes it's yams that they are using - the orange ones. So, b/c it is an American magazine and it said sweet potatoes, I thought that it would use yams. I guess you could use yams or sweet potatoes. The yams were delicious. I tweaked it a bit - here is my version.

2 tbsp butter
1 shallot - 1/4 cup chopped
3 cloves of minced garlic
1/4 cup flour (and 2 tbsp separated)
2 tbsp fresh thyme
2 cups skim milk
3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
2 bakers potatoes - around 1 pound
1 yam - around 1 pound
1 butternut squash - around 1 pound
1/3 cup gruyere cheese

Pre-heat oven to 375. In a medium sized saucepan melt the butter. Add the shallots and garlic. Heat over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes. Add the flour and whisk thoroughly - cook for two minutes. Add they thyme. Slowly add the milk - continue to stir - then add the parmesan - it will thicken into a nice creamy sauce.

At the same time (we're women, we are multi-tasking divas) boil the potatoes and yams. I cut them into medium size pieces that I could cut into thin slices after they were boiled. You could slice them first and then boil - this way would probably take less time. When they are soft, put them in a bowl and sprinkle them with 1 tbsp of flour. Do the same thing for the butternut squash. 

In a 11x7 broil safe dish, do a layer of potatoes and yams, and then a layer of butternut squash and repeat this one other time. Cover the vegetables with the cream sauce. And then sprinkle with the gruyere cheese.

Bake in the oven for 35 minutes and then broil for about 2 minutes. And that's it. 

Deliciousness and loveliness is served. This will impress anyone - I dare you to give it a try.

I served this with a roast chicken. I used my mom's method. Super easy and super moist. I just put it in a roasting pan, drizzled a bit of olive oil and rubbed it all over. Added kosher salt. Covered with aluminum foil and baked it in a 350 oven. The rule for cooking it Jules' way is 1/2 hour per pound. Very delicious.

Well - I am calling it a night. I hope you all had a weekend full of the adventures that you were wanting.

Loves. 
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Looks yummy. I'm going to try it for sure.
I bought "everyday with Rachel Ray"...that's my splurge. I love that magazine. Tonight I sipped on a soy milk chai and drooled over some of the recipes. It was a brilliant evening.
That cutting board looks fantastic!
Did you see the new measuring spoons/cups that purex is putting out...magnetic. I'm putting that on my wish list. I'm going to do that on the blog in the next day or so.