Tuesday, December 29, 2009

And then there were three...




Three dogs, that is. Don't worry, I haven't lost my mind and adopted a new dog (despite Tracy's trying very hard to convince me to) - this wee girl is my sister's pup, Hattrick, aka, Hatty. She's a good girl. She has comfortably fit herself into the family - and plopped herself down right in the middle of the kitchen floor as I am trying to cook. 

Today - was another day of loafing. I'm in trouble. I feel like all I can do is walk the dogs and laze about. And... there is a new show on the Women's Network (I think that's what it is) called 'Dine With Me'. It's so good. Mindless TV in the middle of the day - see!! I'm in trouble. 

I have a pot of turkey soup on the stove. That will probably be the last of our turkey for now. I made turkey shepherds pie for dinner last night. I used the last of my gravy, my corn and peppers and mashed potatoes. I added a bit of red chili pepper flakes to the gravy, stacked it and baked them for about 30 mins at 400. It was a good dinner, something different from the turkey dinner leftovers. 


The corn and peppers that I had left over were from Christmas dinner. It was something different, something that I haven't made before. It was super easy, and turned out well. It was also very colourful - so looked good with the rest of the dishes.  Not really sure what to call it.


Festive corn and peppers
1 large onion - chopped
2 red peppers - chopped into small pieces
2 green peppers - same as above
1 small bag of frozen corn - I love the Organic brand that Safeway has
1 cup of chicken stock
Red chili peppers - add as much as you like - I like the little bit of heat that they give

Saute the onion in a bit of olive oil and kosher salt. Saute for about 5 minutes. Add the peppers, corn, stock and pepper flakes. Cover and let it simmer. I cut up all the peppers the day before - so that it could just be added when cooking it the next day - and nothing needed to be chopped. I let it simmer for about 40 minutes. I will definitely make this again - super easy and tasty.

Another dish that we did on Christmas Eve was coconut chicken. I made this dish YEARS ago. I found the recipe in a Chatelaine magazine. They turned out so good. I have since lost the magazine, the recipe so I had to improvise and hope that it would turn out similarly. 

Coconut Chicken

4 skinless boneless chicken breasts - cut into thin strips 
1 can of coconut milk - I like to use the Light version
4 cloves of garlic - minced
Juice of one lime
1 tbsp of hot sauce
1 tbsp of soy sauce
1/2 cup of shredded coconut
1 cup of Panko bread crumbs - you may need more, so have more on hand

Mix all of the ingredients, except the bread crumbs together. Allow all of the ingredients to marinade for as long as you can. Ideally the morning of or the evening before you cook it. The chicken will absorb the ingredients fully. 

Pre-heat the oven to 400.  Add the bread crumbs to a shallow dish. Dip the chicken pieces into the bread crumbs and generously coat them. Add them to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake the chicken for 20 - 25 minutes - until chicken is cooked. 

It's delicious to serve it with a sweet chili sauce.

Well, that's it for me. I think that I'd better go and stir the soup. We have a party to go to tonight - it should be nice to see everyone after Christmas.

Over and out.

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please just get a third dog...you know you
want to!!! And if you don't think you do... I
know you do. Plus I really want you to, and
that should be enough!!!! Hahahaha

Happy new year friend!!
Tracy