Sunday, December 20, 2009

Chill with Chili

You know before today - I felt like I was really on track with all of the holiday shopping, cooking, wrapping, stuffing stockings, etc. And now - as I sit here after a pretty busy day - I realized 'OH CRAP!!!' - I am SO NOT ready. I am trying to plan my schedule over this week and realize that it's going to be an action packed week - full of taking back a few things back, full on grocery shop with a quick sprint to the Root Cellar and finishing my shopping. I don't want to stress - it will all be done - I just want to enjoy it all.

Yesterday's memorial was really nice. It wasn't any sort of a church service, they are doing that in Kitimat within the next couple of days. It was more of a reception, where lots of friends and family gathered and told great stories of a wonderful man. I couldn't hold it together. I cried pretty much the entire time. I cried when talking to Jocelyn and her sister, every time. At one point I had to remind Jocelyn that I should be consoling her - I just was so saddened by it all. Knowing that they were going to really struggle with missing him not being in their lives on a daily basis, worrying about their grandpa, and having to take care of things that they are far too young to have to do. I wish them all the best - and they know that I will be there for them - always.

My emotions have been on 'high alert' the last couple of days. If I hear a story about communities coming together to raise thousands of dollars and having truckloads of food donated for families that need the support at this time of the year - I cry. If I hear a siren - I cry. If I think of my sister and nephews being away - I cry. Do you see the trend. Oh my. 'Nuff about that.

I cooked tonight - 'bout time. I felt like a good hearty meal - so had it planned before I left the house this morning. Chicken Chili. It was a perfect meal for a raining evening and there are leftovers for dinner tomorrow night. TF. :)


Chicken Chili

1 medium sized onion - chopped
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts - chopped into small pieces
3 cloves of garlic - minced
1 red pepper - chopped
2 green peppers - chopped
1 cup frozen corn
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 can of kidney beans - rinsed and drained
1 can of black beans - rinsed and drained
2 cans of Heinz beans in tomato sauce
2 large cans of diced tomatoes - drained
Lots of chili powder

In a large pot, saute onion in olive oil. Saute for about 5 minutes. Add chicken and continue to cook for another 5 minutes. Add garlic and the vegetables. Add a couple of tablespoons of chili powder - stir and let all of the flavours meld for another couple of minutes. Add in all of the beans and tomatoes and more chili powder - depending on how spicy you like it - cover and let cook for about 30-45 minutes. Stir often.

And that's it. It's delicious. I topped with a sprinkle of cheddar and let it all melt in.

Alrighty oh - that's it for me tonight.

Loves. 

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheryl,
Is there anything I can do for you Hon? I have kone the potatoes and the deserts for Us and Margaret are almost done, Would love to help you if I can.
Love Mom