Monday, December 7, 2009

Do Shepherds really eat pie?


Shepherds Pie. Do you like it? What is your recipe? I grew up with the traditional - ground meat, shredded carrots and mashed potatoes. I loved it. My mom made a mean shepherds pie. It was always a good hearty dinner and warmed me up.

Tonight I did a take on shepherds pie and it turned out well. I had help from my sous chef - Christoff. He is off this week, so he had time today to help prep a bit. It makes a huge difference to come home and only have to do half of the dinner prep. 

I bought the biggest sweet potato at the Root Cellar a couple of weeks ago and have been storing it safely in my 'root cellar'.  I think that it was a 1.5 lbs - after chopped and boiled it worked out to be about 5 cups. After 'sous chef' Chris boiled it, he stored them in the fridge until they were ready to be part of the main event. When I got home, I started on part 2.

Sims Style Shepherds Pie

1.5 lbs sweet potato - @ 5 cups - boiled and chopped
1 onion
2 lbs of ground chicken 
1 large carrot - shredded
1 cup corn
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 1/2 tbsp flour
Kosher salt and pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes 
Milk and butter

In a large skillet, saute the onion in olive oil. Saute for about 8 minutes and then add the ground chicken. Continue to cook until the meat is fully cooked. In a bowl add the chicken stock (or hot water if you don't have stock on hand) and the flour. Whisk vigorously to avoid any lumps. Add kosher salt and pepper. Add the flour/stock to the ground meat. It will form almost like a gravy consistency. Add the carrots and corn - simmer on very low for a couple of minutes. 

Since the potatoes were cooked earlier in the day, I heated 1 cup of skim milk in a pot - over low heat - and then added the potatoes to the milk. I added 2 tbsp of butter and red pepper flakes. I let the potatoes heat with the milk, and stirred them to help mash them. Season with salt and pepper and more pepper flakes if you desire.

In a casserole dish - add the meat mixture and then top with the sweet potatoes. Bake in a 375 oven for 25 minutes. For the last 2 minutes, broil to crisp the top and make it golden.

Chris rated this a 14!! Not sure if he rated it that b/c he helped. :)

It's the countdown to our Annual Christmas Party. T minus 4 days. It's our annual party - I have actually been having this party before Chris and I ever met. I will get into more details this week - it's been a bit of a long day and I am ready for a long winter's sleep.


Christmas party pics - I did dance up a storm
It's Chris and I - under 'mardi gras' disguise. 

Hope you are all enjoying the beautiful winter. 

Loves.

Enjoy!!

No comments: