Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Kitchen sink cookin'.


It is one of those 'everything but the kitchen sink' kind of dinners. Now listen, the dinner that I am about to show you isn't glamorous, isn't gourmet, isn't something that I would cook if Mark Wahlberg came for dinner - but it was tasty, it was hearty and it was easy.

I think that I have always been able to cook with what I have on hand. I am not sure how it developed - probably when I was in University and didn't have any cash to pick up something for dinner so had to use what was in the fridge and cupboards. I love it when Chris says, 'there's nothing to eat' and I can pull of a big dinner.

I kind of would love to be on that show that was on years ago (I can't remember what it was called) but each chef and contestant were given 10 ingredients and had to make a 3 course meal out of it. I want that challenge. Who wants to challenge me???? Seriously - tell me 5-10 ingredients in your cupboard and I will try and make up a recipe for you. DO IT!!!!

Ok, enough about me. Let's get back to the kitchen sink style dinner. I am in need of a big grocery shop - but am putting it off until the end of the week for the party for Friday. 

These were my ingredients - the recipe will follow:
- one onion
- ground chicken
- 2 small butternut squashes
- 1 red pepper - chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 zucchini - chopped into small pieces
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 1 pack of butternut squash ravioli
- 1 single serving of spinach ravioli
- 1 bag of spinach
- any sort of seasoning that you like

Seriously - that's what was on hand - even the cream cheese.

Before our dog walk, I cut the squashes in half, scooped out the seeds, and cooked cut side down on an foil lined baking sheet in a 350 - and cooked for about 35 minutes.

In a large skillet I sauteed the onion for about 8 minutes and then added the ground chicken. I then added the zucchini and pepper and any seasonings in and continued to saute.  Meanwhile, boil the pasta until it is el dente. Just before it is fully cooked, add the spinach - it will cook in less than a minute. Drain the pasta and rinse the pot. I used the same pot, to cut down on dishes. Love that.

In the large pot, scoop out the butternut squash and add the cream cheese. Add the stock - stir to try and cream the squash and melt the cream cheese. Then add the meat and vegetable mixture to the squash. And then add the pasta - mix all together and dinner is done. 

Remember, I said that this wasn't glamorous but good. I think that it's really great to try and make things that you like - that you have on hand - and experiment. 

I am starting to get excited for our party this weekend. I have a ton of stuff to do before Friday night. There is a ton of shopping to do, a Christmas tree to find and decorate, plan a menu, tidy the house, make a wreath for the front door, do Christmas cards, and I know so much more. Sigh. 

Tonight, I will watch the finale of the Biggest Loser and do my Christmas cards. I hope that I actually mail them this year. 

I hope that you had a great day. 

Loves, 

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

john said...

I am loving this recipe! Great idea for this Friday night! - Thanks CM