Saturday, December 19, 2009

Sa Ta DAY

Happy Saturday friends. Happy last Saturday before Christmas. Happy Christmas season.

Today will be a sad day, I am attending the memorial for my friend's dad. My mom is coming with me, which will be much easier. He was always fond of my mom and always asked how she was.  I am going to make the most of today - that's how everyone would want it to be.

I was up early after today - dropping the kids off at the groomers or as I like to refer to it as - the Beauty Parlor. It just sounds nicer and I am sure that Magnum and Jozie appreciate it. NOT. Oh were they not happy when I brought them there. Poor Magnum was trying to climb my legs and Jozie was trying to do her special dance (that she likes to do for a treat) - thinking that if it was up to 'So You Think You Can Dance' quality that I would take her with me. They should be home soon - nice and pretty, pretty smelling, and oh so relieved to see us.

I haven't been cooking - unless you consider bacon and egg sandwiches for dinner, cooking. It's been one of those weeks. I will be doing enough cooking right at Christmas - that will make up for it.

So... to compensate for my lack of cooking - I have a special treat - a recipe of Steph (aka my Assistant - what I like to pretend she is). She brought the dip to our party - and it was a huge hit! Steph loves cooking - she is very creative and is not afraid to experiment. Her partner has onion and garlic allergies, so she has to be creative to pack all of the flavours in. I would definitely give this one a try. It would be great to take to any party.

Roasted Red Pepper Hummous Steph Style

I can of chick peas
1-2 tbsp tahini
1-2 roasted red peppers (I buy them in a jar and they are in some liquid.  I usually pour a bit of the liquid in too.  You can roast your own red peppers if you like).
2-3 tbsp lemon juice
Jalapeno to taste
Salt and pepper to taste.  Or just salt.
Add everything into a blender or food processor and pulse until everything is smooth.
 
Stephanie also said:  I change it each time.  It’s fun to play around with different amounts of each ingredient.  Since you don’t have to feed Stasia, I would also recommend trying it with roasted garlic.
 
Thanks Steph!!!

I did make breakfast this morning. Nothing fancy - but nice and hearty to start the day off.

Morning Sausage and Egg'ers

Notice the SB's in the background - Non-fat, half-sweet, Single espresso shot, Caramel Brule Latte - yumma!!!!

I use one egg and two sausages per english muffin. 

Sausages - I used Johnsonville Maple Syrup sausages
Poached eggs 
English muffins - toasted
Cheese - very thinly sliced

For the sausages, pre-heat the oven to 400. On an aluminum lined baking sheet, place a cooling rack that can go in the oven. Put the sausages on the rack and bake for about 20 minutes. Rotate half way through. This is such a great alternative to frying. Easy - easy to clean. When they are done, slice them lengthwise in half.

For the poached eggs - these are Chris' specialty. Boil water in a pot or a cast iron frying pan. Break eggs into a bowl - then add the eggs into the boiling water and boil for two minutes "exactly". Use a slotted spoon to remove them from the boiling water. So good!!!

Toast the english muffins. Once the sausages are done cooking - set the oven to broil. On a lined baking sheet (just in case the cheese melts everywhere - I'm all about the easy clean up), build the sandwiches. English muffin, egg, sausages and cheese. Leave the one half of the english muffin out - so that the cheese on top is being broiled and melts with deliciously.

And that's it - a breakfast for champions. We're all champions - so it was worth it.

Alrighty - that's it for me today. Over and out. Enjoy the Christmas season - take minutes to enjoy it all. It only happens once a year!

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: