Sunday, December 6, 2009

Weekends and family... make it all worth it.

December morning sunset 

December. Oh how I love thee. Oh how I love all the excitement you bring with you. 

Hi friends. I've been busy. The kind of busy that makes you really feel like you're running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Gross!! What does that mean anyways??? Ok, let's just say - it's been a busy week. The busy week paid off - I had a fabulous weekend. Pure Bliss. 

See I had my brother and his two oldest wee'ins coming to visit this weekend. I was trying to get everything organized. I think that the visit was like what people do when the Queen is coming for a visit. And they all run out on to the streets and say stuff like 'THE QUEEN IS COMING! THE QUEEN IS COMING!!'. Alright - my brother is not the queen nor did I treat him like one - but I did want to ensure that everything was great for their visit. So... they came - we had a great visit - and they are now on their way  home. 

During the week, I did stuff like decorate the house, clean, shop, get the house 'visitor worthy', get ready for my staff Christmas party, work and walk the pups. Not sure what I cooked - I can't even really remember. I know that one night I went to Jules and brought chicken, sourdough bread, tomatoes, mozzarella and fresh basil to make toasties. And I think there was one night that we had a M&M dinner and one night that we had chicken sausage rolls from Art's Bakery. Hello - new favourite treat! 

My work Christmas party was fabulous!!! We had such a great time. It was a Mardi Gras theme. It was so much fun to hang out with co-workers in a relaxed and fun environment and not worry about 'behaving'. Just kidding. I did. I also danced A LOT. I also played a little Black Jack. And I also stayed out way past my bed time. Here are some pics of the evening - with me and some of my favourite friends.



I dislike this one of me - but needed to add one of my 'Assistant' - don't forget my Starbucks on Monday - you promised.

I was awakened early on Saturday morning to little feets running through the house. How great is it to have little ones running around? I loved it and wished that they lived closer so that I could have sleepovers with them all the time. I took my niece and nephew out for the day. We did a little shopping - I let them pick out their Christmas presents as they are going to be away for the holidays, and then we went for lunch. Before we went shopping I thought that it would be a good idea for them to pick something for a little girl and boy that they could donate. Just outside of Toys R Us there was a Santa's Helper table - so the kids were able to pick out which presents that they wanted to select - and then we headed in to the crazy toy store, on a mission to find pressies for a 5 year old girl and a 6 year old boy.

Now comes 'my emotions'. Surprised? During our little shop, I couldn't help but get emotional. I was choking back tears. Choking back a chunk of emotional stuff as my little nephew picked out what he would pick if it were for him, and selecting something for a little girl that my niece would love too. Dumb? I couldn't help it. I am not really sure what caused it, but it was there. I didn't fight it - I can't - it's the time of the year when my emotions get the best of me.

I have to warn you - this is an emotional month for me. Even though it will be 13 years ago this Boxing Day that my dad passed away, since he was ill for the entire month - there are a lot of triggers for me at this time of the year for me. 

Future K. Mitchell Presents?
Last night after a great day, after baking cupcakes with my niece - we all gathered at my house for a wok full of My-tie Stir fry - and then headed out to watch the Annual Christmas Truck Parade that passed near our house. It was sooooo cold - sooooo windy - but us ladies stuck it out and watched all the trucks pass by. I love it. Again - full on tear fest. Thankfully it was real dark, real windy - so no one would have noticed. What is up with that? 

So... it's been a good weekend. I am really tired tonight. I haven't been sleeping great over the past couple of nights - so tonight is going to be a good one. I am going to sleep like a rock. But before I do - I will watch the finale of the Amazing Race, eat one of our 'famous cupcakes', email my sister and nephews who would have successfully made it to Australia by now, and end this post with a recipe from last weekend.

After watching Bobby Flay's - Throwdown with Bobby Flay - and watching them do a recipe for Sloppy Joe's - I had to try them. I have never had Sloppy Joe's before - it wasn't something that we grew up on; however, since making them I will do them again.

Sloppy Joe's Sims Style

1 pound of ground chicken
1 small onion - chopped
3/4 of small tin of tomato paste
2 tbsp of ketchup
Fresh thyme - @ 1 tbsp (or use whatever you like - fresh or dried oregano would be nice)
Fresh bread or buns

In a large skillet, saute the onion in a little olive oil. Give a sprinkle of kosher salt. Saute for about 8 minutes. Add the ground chicken and continue to saute until the chicken is cooked. Depending on the fat, you may want to drain it. Add the tomato paste, the ketchup and thyme and stir it all in so that the tomato flavours coats all of the chicken. Let it simmer on low for about 10-15 minutes. When it is cooked and the flavours are where you want it to be, it is ready to be served. Serve it with a nice bun or over bread. 


It's a super easy dinner - great with a bunch of steamed vegetables or with a salad. 

Alright friends - I hope your December has started out the way you have wanted it to. 

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: