Tuesday, January 12, 2010

And the winner is... And there is another chance to win!

And the winner is... cuzzie Margo!!! Margo - is the winner of the Epicurian cutting board - in celebration of the blog's 1 year anniversary. Yay Margo - I am going to try and personally deliver it to you.

I have another treat today. It's something small - but I love it. It's January's Food Network magazine - the same one that Callum bought me. 

I have expressed before that I love this magazine - and I loved this month's edition, mostly b/c Callum bought it for me - but also b/c it has some great recipes. In time for the upcoming Super Bowl, there are a lot of fun recipes that will be great for any party. Now - many of you may not be football fans, understandably, but it doesn't mean that you shouldn't A. have a party and B. make yummy food. 




So, email me or leave me a comment telling me either what your favourite NFL or CFL football team is, or what you would you rather do than watch a football game. For example you could say: having a root canal. For the record, I NEVER want to have a root canal. I used to always ask my dentist if I needed to have a root canal - and he would chuckle and say 'oh no' - and then one time I asked him what it was - and he chuckled again b/c he thought that I actually knew what it was. Oh fun times at the dentist.


Meet Guest Chef Beth

Alright - special treat tonight. I have a recipe from Guest Chef Beth. I have chatted about Beth before. We have known each other for 9 years! 9 years!! She is very funny - the kind of funny that makes me do a laugh that comes from the bottom of my stomach, causes me to stop breathing and most often to run to the loo.  She is a great cook - and loves to try new recipes. I have been bugging her to send this to me for awhile - then she did send it to me and I 'misplaced' it - so I had to bug her again. Like myself, Beth has a love for spinach - which inspired tonight's recipe. Now... for the record (are you counting? that's the 2nd time that I have said that tonight - and I don't really know what it means) I haven't tried this yet. BUT, I know that it will be deeelicious and I am going to be making it soon.

Spinach Quiche Squares

You will need:
Spinach
Ground turkey
1 onion
Garlic
Mushrooms
Salsa
Whole wheat and white flour
Baking powder
Salt
Milk
Eggs 
Shredded Cheese
Salsa
Sun-dried tomatoes
Parmesan cheese

-steam a lot of spinach (two bags of the pre-washed stuff, roughly, or ≤ of one of the big plastic save-on tubs) until just wilted. Set aside.
-in
cooking spray or a bit of olive oil over medium-high heat, sauté a lb of ground turkey (on its own until mostly cooked through), a chopped onion, two cloves of thin-sliced or minced garlic, and around 10 mushrooms.  Add 1.5 cups of your favourite salsa. Set aside.
-In a large bowl, sift together
≤ cup whole wheat flour, ≤ cup white flour, 1.5 tsps baking powder, 1 tsp salt.
-
add in 4 eggs (I personally use 2-3 eggs and 3-4 egg whites), 1 cup of milk (I use 1%), and 1/8 cup of melted butter. Whisk together. Add in spinach, turkey mixture, and two cups of shredded cheese (I used part skim mozza), plus a 1/3 cup of grated parmesan.  Mix. I also add about ∏ cup of sun-dried tomatoes here – either the oil-packed ones (rinse first) or dehydrated ones that I’ve rehydrated.
-Pour all into a prepared 9X13 baking dish (I use a pyrex one sprayed with Pam).
-Bake for 40-45 minutes at 375 , until set, and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
 


Thank you Beth!!! I am looking forward to giving this a try.

Well friends - over and out from the Rock. 
Hump day is almost here - enjoy.

Loves.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Steph said...

Hello Cheryl,

My favourite CFL team is the BC Lions. I have gone to see them several times (it is WAY cheaper than a Canucks game).

My favourite NFL team is the Seattle Seahawks because my former roommate Jason loves them and I had to watch a lot of games with him. I have not seen a live Seahawks game. Side note - They were really bad this season.

One thing that I would rather do than watch a football game is watch a hockey game.

Thank you for listening.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Wonderful idea, but will this really work?