Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Home safe and sound.

First things first:

1. My boys and sister are home. Home safe and sound. Thank goodness. I missed them so much. I didn't realize how much I missed them - until I was driving home from their house - and tearing up b/c I was so happy to have them home. I then thought about how they are getting older - and they will probably be leaving home soon - for school, or to travel - and it breaks my heart to think of them not being around. How do parents do it? I love those boys so much. Little Callum ran up the stairs (I was waiting for them at their house) - gave me a huge hug and said that he had something for me. He bought me the newest edition of the Food Network Magazine on the ferry. He knew that I loved cooking. I just about died. Way too cute. He bought Chris a Canuck book. All with his own money. Connor brought me a mini box that looks like a pack of cigarettes - with mints inside. How did he know??? ;) 

2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY BETH!!!! Pretty girl - happy birthday wishes to you!!!


Well, the first week of January has been a pretty emotional one so far. When I look back to the beginning of every new year - I think that it's traditionally an emotional time of the year. I think that I feel pressured to see the New Year as a time for new beginnings, new plans, new resolutions... Or maybe it's the way that I think that I see people's perception of the new year. I know that it isn't the same way for everyone, but it's my perception. So... when the new year comes around - I don't have that gung ho - hoorah new year attitude. I think that I measure my success over the last year and see what has happened - did I make the changes that I set out to? Did I take care of myself? My negativity really takes over. The pressure of failure. Did I set out to sabatoge myself. 

I've decided that this year, that I'm ok with this. This year, the negativity is going to get a big 'ol boot in the butt. 

I am going to take things with realistic stride. BELIEVE. Set goals that I know that I can achieve. Set realistic goals. Set realistic deadlines. Believe. Trust. Conquer. 

For example: this weekend I am going to focus on my kitchen. I need to purge out the old and make room for the new. I have a bunch of treats from Christmas that need to be in the kitchen - so I need to realize that I can't keep things if I don't use them or if I have never used them. It's ok to get rid of things. It is. Organization mama - that's the plan.

Alright - let's get to the good stuff. I have a bunch of recipes that I still need to share. A bunch. For tonight though - I won't be sharing my dinner ress (it was Subway) but I will share a easy recipe that you can serve as an appetizer or along side a nice pasta dish. 

Breadsticks
I watched Giada De Laurentiis make these years ago. I figured what's good for Giada is good for me. This is a super easy little treat to make. I love serving them as an appetizer - serving them up with a little marinara sauce for dipping, and along side pasta (which is what I did last night).

1 package of Pillsbury breadsticks
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
Dried oregano 

Pre-heat the oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up. 

1 package - store nicely in the fridge

Unwrap the packaging. The packaging kind of 'pops' - but don't worry it won't explode. Honestly - it's safe. 

Cut them in to 8 pieces. See simple, huh?

Divide the 8 pieces and twist them up. I like to fold mine in half and then twist them - but you can make them long and skinny. Either way is deelish.

Mix the parmesan and dried oregano. This oregano was a gifty from my lovely cuzzy Margo - she got it locally from her little gem of a town. It came in the cutest little bag - and it is so fragrant. Yumma! Roll the sticks in the mixture, and coat it nicely. Be generous - it makes the bread.

Bake them in the 350 oven for 16 minutes. They will come out golden, soft, cheesy and delicious.

And that's it. Super easy - and delicious.

Well - that's it for me for tonight. Sorry for my vent at the beginning - it's just been one of those weeks.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: