Monday, January 18, 2010

Must love cauliflower.

I know that I have mentioned my love for cauliflower before. I know that I have always been fond of it before, but to be honest, I didn't always buy it b/c it was always so expensive. I found that buying a small cauliflower for $4 on a regular basis, was a wee bit high - and I would only buy it when I was needing it for a recipe. And now, since I am a regular at The Root Cellar - they have the best prices - this week cauliflowers were 3 for $5. They weren't local, but were from California. So I am back on the cauliflower bus - and am excited to share one of my new fav dishes.

How to Mash Cauliflower

Cut the cauliflower into the florets - and place them in a large pot. I used 3 cauliflowers tonight - I wouldn't normally make this many - but I need to eat a bunch of veggies before the weekend. Fill the pot about 1/3 of the way up with water. Boil on medium to high heat, with the lid on, for about 15 minutes - or until tender with a fork.

Drain the cauliflower and place it back into the pot. Season with kosher salt and fresh black pepper. Then mash the cauliflower as you would like mashing potatoes.

Add fresh chopped chives. I like to use a pair of kitchen scissors to cut them in. Add 2 tbsp of butter and a 1/2 cup parmesan cheese. Sorry for the pic - I need a 3rd hand at times. 

Stir it all in thoroughly - and serve it up. 


And that's it! It so easy, super delicious and a healthy alternative for a side dish. 

That's it for me tonight - dining and dashing.

I hope that your Monday was kind to you.

Loves.

Enjoy.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I make mashed cauliflowers alot....use your pastry blender(knife)...this tool I use for many things....the best for cutting up eggs for egg salad...
:)
Hope today was a good one...
http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/images/PASTRY_BLENDER.jpg