Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Must love mushrooms!

How to make Mushroom Gravy. 
Are you ready? This is a very easy gravy to make. It's great a vegetarian option, and delicious if you want a gravy and haven't made a roast or a turkey. 

I made this tonight to go with amazing pork roast that Chris did in the slow cooker today. The pork roast was delicious, and this gravy went perfect with it.

Prepare the mushrooms. Use a damp cloth to gently clean the dirt off. I used tiny brown button mushrooms - and they were dirty!

Make sure that your dog is watching you make the gravy. Seriously. 

Saute the mushrooms in butter over medium heat for 10 minutes. Make sure that you add a pinch of kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. 

Sprinkle flour over top of the mushrooms and mix thoroughly to ensure that the flour coats all of the mushrooms.

Slowly add the stock to the stock to the flour and mushrooms and continue to stir. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes, and it is ready to be served.

So good!

You will need:

2 cups of mushrooms - sliced or whole. If you use whole, use smaller mushrooms as they will cook faster.
2 tbsp of butter
2 cups of stock - 1/2 cup added at a time

I have used white wine in place of a 1/4 of stock before - it's delicious. 
Fresh herbs are also a bonus - thyme, sage, chives - whatever you like.

I am getting ready to start another round of my running clinic. Year 2. This year I am going to do the Soul Sister's clinic and also one out of the local Rec Center. Chris is going to do the Rec center one with me. Yay!!! I love my running partners. Chris and Megan. 

I am starting to struggle a bit with this already and it hasn't even started. I am struggling with the fact of giving up the coziness and comfort of my home in the evening. I am struggling with rushing home from work and then rushing to run. I am struggling with knowing that I can do this - I know that I can. And I am struggling with struggling. 

I am going to stay positive - know that I will conquer - that I will run for my life. 

I may need some support along the way. Some encouraging words - some 'run, or I'll find you and kick your butt' kind of things. And if you see me running - stopping to offer me a drive - sort of support. NO. Don't do that. Please don't - unless you see me running so slow and I can't keep up with my group. NO!!! Don't do that either b/c that's how I always run. I am eager to see where my shoes take me. And I know that I will want to share it all.

Alright - try the gravy - let me know what you think.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: