Saturday, January 16, 2010

Sending love...

I know that I am blessed - I have a wonderful partner, a loving family, loyal pups, true friends, a warm, safe and cozy home, reliable vehicles, a secure job, food in the fridge, gumboots to wear when it's raining - and so on and so on - I can't even try to list all of my blessings. I don't forget that I am blessed - never does a day go by that I am ungrateful for my blessings - however, there are times that make me realize just how fortunate I am to have the life that I have. To live where I live. 

What has happened in Haiti, is devastating. It's almost unfathamible to imagine, that a country that is already so poor, with a nation that struggles on a daily basis for the things that we as North Americans take advantage of - i.e, a waterproof home, health benefits, education, safety, etc - have had to endure something of this magnitude. 

For most of the week, I haven't really been exposed to too much of the coverage. Today though, I watched a news segment, that showed a woman who had been buried alive. She lay in a pile of rubble, only having her face slightly exposed. I broke down immediately. I can't get her face out of my mind. She had a look of hope, a beautiful woman with almost a slight smile. I want to know her story. I want to know her name. I want to know what happens to her. I want her to be rescued, reunited to her family, recovered to full health and have a brand new start on life. 

I know that this is just one tragedy among millions of others. I can't think about all of the other tragedies in Haiti. It's not that I want to turn a blind eye - I just don't have enough room in my heart or my head to take on that pain. Do you know what I mean? It's so sad - it is heartbreaking, and every face I see I wonder who they are, where their family members are, have they had any water, do they have a blanket to keep them warm at night? 

Part of me wishes that I could just pack it all up - head there - and help. I know that at this time that's not realistic. I need to do something that I know will help. I will make a donation - something that I know will not make a dent in the amount of donations that they need to help with the recovery. But every bit helps - in someway. 

I found this link, that has a bunch of links to Relief Organizations that you can use if you are interested in donating. 

I am not a religious person, but I do know that I will continue to pray for fast relief to the people of Haiti.

**************

Today has been a productive day. I have everything done that I normally do tomorrow - house cleaned and groceries bought. I am looking forward to tomorrow. I need to head downtown to pick up a bottle of Rosemary Mint Soap to bring as a hostess gift for a dinner we are going to tomorrow night. I love this soap - and I think that they will too. Then maybe a stop at Baggins - to see if they have any cool shoes on sale (rumour has it they do).

For tonight's dinner we had another Slow Cooker meal. I heart the slow cooker. I forget how much I love it, until I use it. I told Chris tonight that I felt that I didn't even really make dinner tonight. I put it on when I was doing my chores, went to Callum's hockey game and came home to a home cooked meal.

This slow cooker meal wasn't fancy - let me tell you. But it was super easy, super tasty and what could be better than that on a Saturday night? Ok - there are definitely meals that could be better.

Slow cooked pork sirloin

6 pork sirloins cut in half
1 onion - diced
2 cups of fresh sliced mushrooms
2 cans of cream of mushroom soup - low fat/low sodium
Pinch of kosher and fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp red chili flakes

Layer the above ingredients in that order in to the slow cooker. Cook at the temperature you need it to be at - i.e, all day - use low heat or auto, for 4-5 hours use high. 


And that's it. We served this with brown rice and broccoli - and used the sauce to top the rice. The pork is very tender and very flavourful.

Chris rated this a 5!

Now for another cute Magnum photo.


Magnum snuck off with a wrapper that Chris had. We heard him messing about with it - so we had to ask him what he was doing. We kind of use this deep voice with a very loving tone - and the end of the word slightly goes up a couple of pitches. We say stuff like this 'Maaggggnummmmmmm??? What are you doinggggggg?' He always knows that we have caught him. 

And another photo - we are finally enjoying our downstairs space and loving it. I took a pic of this - mostly b/c I think that the coach for Pittsburgh looks a little like Reido - cuzzie Margo's huz. 


Alright friends. I appreciate you reading my post. I hope that this day finds you well. And I hope that you enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: