Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Some days...

are just better than others. They really are. Some days are 'the best days ever' and then there are days that you 'never hope happen again'. And then there are days when things are just as they are. 

Enough said. 

I have my first running clinic tonight. I bet you'll never guess what I have been doing to prepare? Seriously, guess?
a. Buying new runners
b. Ensuring all my gear is ready for my first clinic
c. Trying to figure out how to get out of it
d. None of the above

Did you guess c? Why???? Whomp whomp. You're right. Although I have been trying to do a bit of 'a'. I went to two different Sport Mart's to pick up a pair of Aasics - but haven't had any luck. And I guess a bit of 'b' too. If it's not raining I will wear a pair of my capri lulu's which means I have to shave my legs. Oh winter... But yes, 'c'. Typical. I won't though. I will go. I will complain. I will probably think that I am having heart failure and that my feet will break - but I will do it. And after feel fab. 

Alright, let's talk meatballs. I made a whack of them last night. I made a batch of spaghetti and meatballs - one of Chris' favourites. I do my spaghetti sauce a bit different. I try not to buy anything from a jar - as I feel that it contains a lot of 'stuff' and a lot of sugar. I love THIS recipe that I did in the summer - but that recipe is for a day when all I want to do is sit around
 and let things simmer. Simmmmmer. For my easy pasta sauce, I like to use canned tomatoes - nothing added. I saute onion with whatever vegetables that I have - last night it was garlic,
 mushrooms, peppers, zucchini and spinach - then add the canned tomatoes (I usually drain one can of the juice) and then add seasonings - dried oregano, red chili flakes, whatever is on hand. And that's it. So simple and easy. And good for you. 

My favourite part of the spaghetti and meatballs is the meatballs. Yumma!!!

Meatballs

1.5 pounds of ground turkey - or chicken or pork or ground beef
1 egg
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
1 tsp red chili pepper flakes
1 tsp of dried oregano
Kosher Salt
Pepper

It's not glamorous - but it's worth it. Add all of the ingredients together, and get your hands in there and mix it all up.

On a parchment lined baking sheet, roll the meatballs into small sized golfballs. Place them inches apart and bake in a 425 oven for 30 minutes. I like to bake them because it's easier and it they don't have to be fried in oil. 

And that's it! These meatballs were made with turkey - so they are lacking a bit of colour. But you can see the bits of dried oregano, and the flavour and scent of parmesan is lovely.

Then you can add the meatballs to your sauce - let it simmer for how ever long you would like - 20 minutes would be a good time for them to soak in the sauce, and serve it on top of your favourite pasta!

Chris rated this a 5!!

Well friends - good night to all. I hope that your Hump Day was lovely.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: