Sunday, January 31, 2010

Stewing...

I've been a little MIA - I haven't been feeling 100%. I'm hoping that I'm on the mend - we'll see. One thing that I am going to do today is take a trip to Frontrunners - to look for a new pair of kicks. We had one of the owners from Frontrunners come to our clinic the other night and gave us a good chat on the importance of having good shoes. Mine are about 11 months old, and I am in need of a new pair. I am looking forward to having them find the pair that is best suited for me. 

I got in a great visit with my gf Jocelyn and her granddad last night. I am so bad at keeping in touch - and she is always so forgiving. I love it when we do catch up b/c it doesn't seem like it has been so long since we last visited. Her granddad is a gem. I have known him for years and he has always been so generous to me. When Joc and I were roommates we would head out on a regular basis and be treated to great dinners at her grandparents house - such good memories.

So, I haven't really cooked in days - but last night I made a quick stew - SO QUICK - for Chris. This is the first stew, with beef, that I have ever made. Seriously. I saw the end of a cooking show yesterday - and they gave a recap of what they did - so I am not sure if I did it exactly right, but it seemed to turn out really well.

My dad had a few dishes that he made for lunches and dinner. His repertoire included: hard/soft boiled eggs with toast, baked bananas, canned tuna and toast, beans and toast, and stew. I loved all of them. It was always a very special treat to come home for lunch on a school day to a prepared lunch waiting for us. It was simple but always warm and tasty. His stew was his specialty. He didn't make it often, but when he did, it was delicious. It was a day long event, all dishes were used, there was always a big clean to be done afterwards, but it was always well worth it. I would give anything to sit in the kitchen and watch him prepare his stew. I can remember how happy he was, he didn't want/need any help, and he would just get the hype up all day about how delicious dinner was going to be. It's one of those things that I can picture to this day - and wish that I just had one day in the kitchen with him - I would take pictures, I would watch him step by step, taking notes and savour every bite. 

I think that if you have a favourite recipe that a parent, grandparent, friend, sibling makes - that you should make it with them. Make the memory so that it is something that you have with you always.

This stew is very different - but it was delicious - and b/c it was so easy - it will definitely be made again.

Not My Dad's Stew

1 onion - chopped
1.5 tsp - smoked paprika
1 can of tomato paste
2.5 lbs of top beef loin sirloin steaks (I wasn't really sure what beef to use - but this meat was so good)
3 carrots - chopped
4 white potatoes - chopped
1 cup of stock
1 tsp rosemary
Kosher salt and pepper


Saute the onion in olive oil and add a pinch of kosher salt. Saute for about 7 minutes over medium heat. Add the smoked paprika and coat the onions.

Add a can of tomato paste and let this simmer with the onions for a couple of minutes. The paste will start to stick to the bottom of the pot - just be sure that it doesn't burn.

Chop the sirloin steak into small chunks. Season with salt and pepper. Add the meat to the onions and tomatoes. 

Add the the potatoes and carrots and the rosemary and stir to ensure that everything is coated. Add the stock (beef, vegetable or chicken - that's what I used), and stir to ensure that everything is coated. 

Bake in a 350 oven for 1.5 hours. Every 30 minutes take it out and give it a good stir to ensure that there is still enough liquid in the pot. This is one of my favourite Lagostina pots that Chris got for me a couple of years ago. They are awesome - extremely heavy - but incredible to cook with.


And stew is ready! That's it. It only took about 10-12 minutes to prepare and then the oven did the rest of the work.

Chris rated this a 5!!


This is something that we picked up when we were in Vancouver last weekend. A new hutch. We stopped in to Country Furniture on Granville - I thought it was going to be a painful visit for Chris - but he ended up finding this! I love it when he finds treats :). We have been looking for something for this nook since we bought our house. And this is EXACTLY what I wanted. It's a little big for the space - a little wide - but it still works. I think that our next house will have to be planned around this piece - right Chris? Chris? ;) I love it. And it is going to give us more storage. The plants were just put there for the pic - b/c our phone has to be on it - and it looks a bit ugs right now - so it is being camouflaged. 

Alright friends. I hope that you're having a good Sunday. I am off to take the dogs for a wee walk - and then a quick trip to the Root Cellar.

I hope that all is well.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: