Monday, January 11, 2010

They pretend...

they don't like one another...
But I think that they do a lot of this* during the day when we're not home. *Snuggle on the couch.

Magnum = busted.

Slowly sliding off the couch - hoping I don't see him.

He was not happy that I got that on film. He couldn't even look at me.

Have you seen the show on A&E - Hoarders? If you have, and you're like me - you can only stand it for 1 to 2 minutes. I have such a hard time b/c it's real - these people live like this!! I can't even begin to understand it. If you haven't seen it - it's about people who let hoarding take over their lives and homes. The stuff that you see them hoarding within their houses is pretty much devastating - full of anything and everything that you can imagine.

Ok - so the reason that I bring this up, is for two reasons: 1. b/c it was on tv tonight when I was flipping. 2. I started a purge on the weekend (thanks to the help of my mom and Chris - thanks guys!!!). I started on the kitchen and my mom did the linen closet. Now don't get me wrong - it wasn't material for the Hoarders show - but there was a lot of stuff that we found that shouldn't have been there. We got rid of 4 big bags of stuff (dishes, towels, bedding, etc.) to donate, 1 garbage bag and 2 bins of recycling. I feel great about it - but I know that there is more to do. I need to get into the three corner cupboards that I have - and dig deep and organize and get rid of stuff that I don't use anymore.

I think that I have discovered why I find stuff in my cupboards that I don't use, I think that when I am in a mad rush to clean - I do a bit of 'tossing'. Tossing stuff about to get rid of it all - out of sight out of mind. Well - new ways - new promises to keep things organized. Clutter for me is not good. I think that if I can make sure that everything has a place - and can drill that into Chris (hey Chris, lovey, the ramekins (little white dishes) don't go on the counter). Oh he knows that I love him.

I was a bit MIA on the weekend. I went to a Twilight party on Friday night. It was my friend, Chrissy's, bday - and they are all (except for one other) diehard Twilight fans. There was a game that we were going to play - so I had to cram like it was university all over again. I bought the book - didn't read it - so watched the movie on Thursday night with Chris. It was good - I don't think that I will read the book (I may come summer) but won't run out and watch the 2nd movie.

Saturday was full of purging so that Hoarders doesn't come and want to do a tv show on me. Okay it wasn't that bad.

Sunday - ran around. I have a new plan for Sundays. I am going to try and get everything done on Saturdays, so that when Sunday comes around, I will just sit on my Royal Canadian. C&C, Deb and Jules came for dins last night. Great night. Oh I love them boys. We are doing another SuperBowl party again this year. Last year we did the same thing - we had a little Tailgate party - and it was a great time. Check out here if you want an idea for a menu. Callum has picked out a few things that we can have - so I will work out what we will have, over the next couple of weeks.

This morning - I wasn't able to go to work as per normal. There was a gas leak just near our building - and everyone around was evacuated. I secretly (I SAID SECRETLY - CO-WORKERS THIS IS A SECRET) wish this kind of thing would happen from time to time. Wish that there would be a power outage, etc. But it actually happened. What if I have that sort of power to do that? Oh my. I guess I better wish for other things - like winning the lotto then, or ending world hunger. Anyways - I think that my wish for working at home - put things into perspective for me. When I am at home - I have far too many distractions. Distractions like - orange juice with ice cubes, Magnum trying to make a bed on my laptop, my lunch at 10:30, coats in the spare room that need to be donated to goodwill, cookies from Christmas... see - far too much going on. I think that working from home, for me, would be difficult. I need to embrace the office - embrace it for what it is.

For dinner tonight - I was struggling. I wanted to open a can of beans and heat those up with a scrambled egg. What? Sometimes - you just need to do a dinner like that. Instead I craved something comforting. I decided to do a baked mac & cheese with cauliflower, peppers and spinach. It was well worth it.


Baked Mac & Cheese with vegetables

1 box of fusili or macaroni - whole wheat if you can - boil until el dente
1 cauliflower - cut into small pieces - steamed
5 cups of fresh spinach
2 red peppers - chopped into small pieces
3 tbsp of butter
3 tbsp of flour
1 can of partly skimmed milk
2 cups of skim milk
2-3 cups of cheese - how cheesy do you like it?
Dried pepper flakes - a couple of pinches - or make it spicier if you like it that way
Dried oregano - 1 tsp
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Pre-heat oven to 400.
Boil the pasta until it is el dente. If you have a steamer - add it to the top of the pasta - and steam the cauliflower for about 3 minutes. When the pasta is done, remove it from the heat (don't drain) and add the spinach. Let it sit for a minute or two. Then drain the pasta and spinach, add it back to the pot, and add the cauliflower and peppers - and keep it warm.

For the cheesy sauce.
Melt the butter and add the flour. Whisk the butter and flour together. Slowly add the condensed milk - half the can at a time. Continue to whisk adding the skim milk. Add the spice and herbs. Then it is time to add the cheese. Continue to whisk as the cheese is added to ensure that it melts evenly and it does burn on the bottom. When all of the cheese is melted - poor the melted cheesy sauce over the vegetables. Mix all together. Transfer it to a baking dish, top with the panko breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.


It's worth it. Try it.

Yumms.

I hope that everyone is well - and are cooking up a storm.

Loves.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Tricia said...

Yum! except I should have read the fine print and gotten the "unsweetened" condensed milk.It was still good but had to add some nutmeg and sirachi to tone down the sweetness. Will definitely make it again (sans sweetened)
Thanks!
Tricia

C. Mitchell said...

Hi Tricia - sorry about that! I posted the wrong canned milk. I appreciate you letting me know - and I hope that you enjoyed it. Fixing the recipe now :)
Loves. C.