Saturday, January 2, 2010

Undoing.

Undoing. Undoing a bunch of stuff today. Undoing my sleeping pattern: I didn't get out of bed until after 10AM. 10!! Whoa. Undoing guilty feelings of sleeping in that I normally have. Undoing the Christmas decorations: that is always a huge task and one that I never look forward to - Chris was a great help and we worked well as a team - there were only a few spats and spazzes. 

I feel that all of this undoing today - was just what I was needing. I feel like everything is crisp and new - tidy and somewhat organized - and unlike the rest of the week, feeling rested. 

We were so spoiled at Christmas. So spoiled! My mom spoiled us, as she normally does. Chris spoiled me - and I him. We have started to undo some of our Christmas presents - but before I put out my new knife set (Hoorah!!) and a few of my new dishes, a rice cooker and a bunch of other kitchen goodies - I want to to do a major re-haul of our current kitchen. I have limited space in the kitchen, so I need to go through and purge. I have a lot of great stuff in my kitchen, but it's stuff that I don't always use. I really need to let go of things that are taking up space in my kitchen, and my life. I don't want to get too deep - but I really feel that the chaos or extra baggage that you carry with you (not physically) just isn't healthy. I want to do it in many of my rooms. I don't have a lot of storage space, but the space that I do have is definitely not being used to the best of it's ability. This is a PROMISE - I will do this purge and embrace it.

Jenny sent a motto for me to use for my new year. I love it. 

"Believe"
...believe that you are worthy of the changes. Believe in yourself, believe in others. Believe that it is your time for the changes to be made....:) 

I think that I am going to have to print this one off and post it where I can see it - so that I read it daily - and BELIEVE it. Jenny I HEART you. Does anyone else have anything that they would like to share with the group? 

With all the undoing today - I finally used a pack of frozen lox that I had bought from The Root Cellar just before Christmas. I had planned to serve it on Christmas morning, but made this (see below) instead. And it was DELICIOUS!!!

With the Lox, and some cream cheese and fresh chives I made up a quick and very easy appetizer. It was a nice treat to have after a day of undoing and cleaning.


Salmon Tarts

1 pack of frozen tarts - 18 pack
100 g Lox - unsure of what Lox is - check it out HERE 
250 g cream cheese - I used the 'whipped' brand - so good - let it sit at room temperature while the tarts are baking
1/4 cup of fresh chives - thinly chopped
Fresh ground pepper

Defrost the tarts for about 10 minutes and then bake on a baking in a 375 oven for 10-12 minutes (I usually bake them for 12). Remove them from the oven. Let them cool, and then remove them from the little tins and put them back on the baking sheet. Reduce the heat of the oven to 350.

Chop the lox into small pieces. Add them to the cream cheese along with the chives and fresh ground pepper. Combine everything together to ensure that it is mixed evenly. Then add the mixture to each tart. There should be enough for 1 tbsp (and a bit extra) for each tart. 

Bake in the 350 oven for 8 minutes. 

And that's it. Super easy - and very delicious.

For tomorrow - Chris is back to work. It has been the best being able to have 3 days off in a row with him - twice! We are embracing the time together - as Monday - it will come to an end and life will go back to normal. I made a short trek to London Drugs tonight to get some pictures printed off. I never did my Christmas cards - even though I tried so hard to get them done - so I am sending out a New Years card - and will add a few pics to friends who we haven't seen in so long. I hope that they don't draw devil's horns or black out our teeth when they get them. That would be embarrassing.


Alright friends - work on that motto for me. 

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: