Thursday, February 18, 2010

Coming home.

At the end of my work day - I am always so excited to go home. So excited to see my pups, make dinner, enjoy the evening, and just be. My drive home is a nice ride. I, thankfully, do not have a long commute. 7-10 minutes max. I see so many people with their children and dogs walking, lots of people biking and other people in the cars heading to wherever the road is taking them.

On my drive home today - as I was thinking about my run tonight, getting home to my pups, the Canadian Men's hockey game, my beautiful ring, what would Chris make for dinner - I saw the funniest thing. It made my night. On the opposite side of the street there was a small group of about 5 boys - probably 12 year olds - and they had a sign made out of cardboard. As I got closer - one boy was holding the sign watching for people in the cars to read it. The sign read:

"DON'T READ THIS SIGN"

It completely cracked me up! These boys were so proud of themselves. It made my drive home.

Tonight's run was a little rough. The other night's run was 2 mins run and 3 mins walk x 9. Tonight's run (different clinic) was 2.5 mins run and 1.5 mins walk x 10. Yipes. That 1.5 minute recovery was a wee bit short. I did it though. I never walked. I ran up hills - and when things were rough, I thought of my friend Micki - and told myself, "You can do this. You will do this. And You are doing this." 

Inspiration comes in many different forms. For me tonight it was hearing Micki's voice in my head.  

Well - I am sorry to report that there is not a new dinner recipe tonight. Chris is temporarily fired - as he hadn't put a frozen lasagna in the oven that took an hour to cook until I got home. So... I couldn't wait an hour - so we scooted out for a SubWay. Sometimes you just need a sub for dinner.  I have some recipes in my 'bank' - so I will share this one. It's perfect timing - you can whip up a bunch for the Canadian vs. USA Hockey game on Sunday. 

When I have had these in a pub - they always seem to taste as though they have been deep fried. I am not sure if they are - but they taste very crispy. I got the basis of this recipe from my Food Network Magazine - and Callum and I decided which ones to make. In the end, I completely changed my course of the recipe and made them very simple and very tasty.


Potato Skins

Pre-heat oven to 400.

4 large russet potatoes - wash them and then poke them multiple times with a fork
2 tbsp butter
2 cloves of garlic - minced
1/2 pound of bacon
1 cup of shredded cheese

Bake the potatoes for one hour - or until they are soft. An hour should be plenty of time. While the potatoes are cooking - you can take the time to cook your bacon. Once it is cooked - chop into small pieces. 

Let the potatoes cool. Slice them into half - lengthwise - and then in half again - so you have 4 long pieces. Scoop out the potato - leaving a thin layer of potato over the skin. On a parchment lined baking sheet - place the skins on the sheet - skin side up. Melt the butter - and with a brush lightly brush the potato skin with the melted butter. Reduce the heat on the oven to 375 and bake for 15 minutes.

Add the garlic to the remaining butter. Turn the potato skins over - and brush the inside of the skins with the garlic butter. Top with the bacon and then the shredded cheese. Bake in the 375 oven for another 10-15 minutes until the cheese is fully melted.

Serve with sour cream and top with fresh chives if you have them on hand. 

These are a delicious treat - very easy to make - and I can guarantee a crowd pleaser.

That's it for me tonight - we're watching the hockey game on our PVR - and it's a bit of a nail biter.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: