Saturday, February 27, 2010

Eggs or dancing?

It's a Saturday night - we should probably be out eating in gourmet restaurants, clubbing it up, pubbing it up, dancing, etc. But instead... I am writing on my blog, we're all curled up being couch potatoes, watching the Olympics after just filling our bellies with scrambled eggs. 

From the above - what surprises you more? That I am saying that we should be out being party animals? Or, that we had scrambled eggs for dinner? I hope you said the first one.

I can't remember the last time I went or wanted to go clubbing or dancing, however, I do remember the last time we had scrambled eggs for dinner - Tuesday. To be honest, I am not a fan of having 'breakfast for dinner'. I know that so many people are. I remember as kids we would have bacon and eggs, corn fritters, pancakes - occasionally for dinner - and I was never a fan. I also was never a fan of scrambled eggs - and to this day am still not that much - unless I am making them. For some reason having eggs in a restaurant unless they're sunny side up - I just don't love them. When I look back on having 'breakfast for dinner' - I can completely understand why my mom served that up. It's hard making dinner every night - making something different - on a budget and with lack of time. Mom - I am sorry when I complained. You can make 'breakfast for dinner' for me, anytime. 

I love to make Baked Eggs every so often as well. I love this dish - it is super easy and super hearty - and makes a great leftover breakfast for the next morning.

Eggs are a good source of protein and are good for you. I didn't really think that having free range eggs made a big difference - but trust me, they do. They are delicious. It's very noticeable in baking and especially in scrambled eggs. I make scrambled eggs every so often when it's a late night for dinner and I am needing some quick comfort food. 


I liked both pics - couldn't pick which one to post - so decided on both. Which one is your favourite?

Sims Style Scrambled Eggs

This recipe is enough for 2 hearty helpings of eggs. It seems like a lot of eggs - but don't worry - it's a good source of protein and will be a substantial dinner or breakfast.

6 eggs - try and use free range organic if you can - and see if you can notice a difference
2 tbsp butter
1/4 cream
2 tbsp cream cheese - cut into cubes (6)
2 tbsp of fresh chives - chopped - save a few for garnish
Kosher salt and pepper

In a large, non-stick skillet, melt 2 tbsp of butter over medium heat. Crack each of the eggs and add them to the skillet. Add the cream, and a pinch of kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. With a whisk, whisk the eggs - you don't have to sit and with them continuously, but often enough - cooking for about 7 minutes. When the eggs have become scrambled, and they are almost cooked through (not runny) add the cream cheese and chives (I like to cut mine with scissors right into the eggs) and continue to whisk. 

When they are completely cooked - about 8 minutes in total - remove from the heat, dish them up and add a few fresh chives for garnish. Serve along side with fresh fruit, tomatoes or some of Art's Bakery California Sour Dough bread. Delicious!

This weekend day has been a good one. I got myself a new watch last night - so headed out early this morning for a run. A Run! A run by myself. I had to share - I was pretty excited that I strapped on the shoes - headed out to the goose - and ran my 4 mins and 1.5 mins walk. I did 8 intervals, didn't stop, and stuck right on schedule. It was a great accomplishment for me.

Then out for a 1.5 hour walk around Thetis Lake with our pups and some good friends. It was lovely out there - mucky - but nice. Chris and I headed to Azuma Sushi for a late lunch. Then I had a quick visit with my friend at her store Sprouts - she was wanting to see my ring. After that, I went to Capital Iron - and was going up the stairs and fell. How embarrassing!!! Right on my shins and gut. And the only thing that I could think of the whole time (it seemed to take forever) was did I break my nail. What the heck???? Hah. I am very grateful that I didn't have to say 'I've fallen, and I can't get up'. 

Alright friends. Tomorrow is the big day. Canada vs. USA. I am so excited - it's going to be a good game. I am going to miss the Olympics - they have been oh, so entertaining. 

I hope you're all having a great weekend!

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: