Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Engaged - Day 4.

A beautiful bouquet that Tina and Penny brought us - as a Congratulations! 

I feel when I miss a day of writing that I am playing hooky a bit. Life right now is a bit busy - and I am loving all of it. I am really trying to make my running career* a part of my life - trying not make it feel like misery. Misery loves company - so if I am miserable - then it will just consume me. I am trying to fit the running in as I do with needing to walk the pups. I think that it will only get easier. Last night the run was dedicated to hills. HILLS. I curse you. Oh my they are my obstacle. Well, running is my obstacle - but the hills are a struggle. But I know that hills are a necessary part of training - so it's important that I do them. Embrace them. 

*Running career - 2 running clinics a week, with one  practice day - and lots of curse words, emotions, positive and negative thoughts - all with a goal in mind - to get better. 

I am also busy being a Fiance. Ha! I like calling Chris 'Fiance'. I say stuff like 'Hi Fiance!' or 'Fiance can you bring me a drink?' or 'Fiance can I "borrow" $10?' I am loving my ring - I love every thought that I have about the thought that Chris put into picking out such a lovely ring and thinking of the way he wanted to propose. It's all very emotional and very exciting. 

My mom got home last night from a quick visit to Summerland. She got me the best gift - a Bride Book - it's beautiful. It's like a binder with a file folder and leather straps - so it looks like a little bag. It's so awesome! I bought my first Wedding magazine tonight. It was an impulse buy. I was looking for the newest Cooking Light - and I saw a Real Simple Wedding mag - and then I thought 'oh I should get one of those' and then my line started moving in the checkout - and in my aisle there was only a Martha Stewart Weddings - so I panicked a bit and then I just grabbed it. I have concerns that my Cooking magazine 'addiction' will also become a Wedding magazine 'addiction'. I will pace myself.

Ok - let's get onto the goods. Enough about me being a Fiance. I have a delicious recipe to share. My friend Jessica brought in a cup of Cauliflower Curry soup that she picked up at a little coffee shop last week and I have never had this type of soup before - so I had a little taste and knew that I was going to need to try and make it. Coincidentally I had 2 heads of cauliflower in the fridge - so knew that it was meant to be.  This is my interpretation of the recipe - and Chris and I really loved how it turned out. The thing that I loved about this soup as I was making it - is that it could take on any flavours - not just curry. You could do an italian version with roasted garlic and a bunch of fresh herbs. Or you could shrimp with a bunch of fresh dill and chives. I think that I will have to start the Cauliflower Soup Saga. Yumma!


Creamed Cauliflower with Curry Soup

2 heads of cauliflower - chopped into a bunch of small florets
3 1/2 cups of stock - I used chicken stock
2 tbsp of curry powder
1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
Kosher salt and pepper
1/2 cup of cream
Sour cream for garnish

In a covered large pot, gently boil (medium heat) the cauliflower and chicken stock. Lightly sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Let the cauliflower simmer for about 30 minutes. Add the curry powder and cayenne pepper and continue to simmer - reduce heat to low - and simmer for another 10-15 minutes. 

With a hand blender or blender, blend the cauliflower so that it becomes creamy. Because you have simmered it for so long, you will be able blend the soup so that it will form a very creamy texture. Continuing to simmer over low heat, add the cream and blend in with the soup. 

Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream. The sour cream is a nice contrast to the spicy soup - and helps cool down the level of heat. And it is a beautiful garnish against the incredible yellow. 

In the picture - the sour cream is topped with fried apple strips. I love apple and curry together, so I tried to think of a way to incorporate them into the soup. I sliced the apple pieces into very thin slices. I added them carefully to a pot with hot oil - and let them heat for about 5 minutes. I removed them from the pot with a slotted spoon, placed them onto a paper towel lined plate and sprinkled them lightly with kosher salt. I think that when I cooked them that I cooked them a little long - so they look similar to bacon. They didn't taste like bacon though - they were delicious.

I hope that you are all enjoying the Olympics. I am not sure if you are tilting your head slightly in confusion when watching the 2 men luge - but I am. But then who cares - it's the Olympics!!! I love them.

I need to say that this blog post was interrupted by a MASSIVE laughing fit with my friend Beth. Stomach hurting, running to the loo needing to change your pj's, sort of laugh. Thanks Beth - that made my night. Love you.

Alright friends - I hope you're all enjoying your week. The weekend is fast approaching.

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Beth said...

I totally thought that WAS bacon! But apple sounds better. That soup sounds really, really good. I'm going to have to try it.

And aw - I LOVE YOU TOO. That made my night as well...I kept chuckling on and off to myself for a while. :) You're fun and funny.