Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Inspire me... please.

I am needing some inspiration. Big, bad inspiration. Perhaps it's the time of the year, or long work days, or just life - but I am not feeling like cooking these days - and I LOVE to cook. I love trying new recipes, trying new ingredients, to cook for others, to cook for my blog - but lately I have been struggling to come up with anything - and would prefer to hit up M&M's, Subway or a frozen pizza. 

I am excited to cook up a feast for our Super Bowl party on Sunday - but until then I think that we'll just eat caesar salad :). I know that this is just a phase - and life will organize itself out soon - and I will be back on track.  I did make dinner tonight - thank goodness for Campbell's soup and my new rice cooker.

My run last night was lovely. I purchased a new jacket on the weekend. It's a black cycling jacket from MEC. It's a wee bit tight in the belly area - but that's ok - with the running I better lose some of my lady lumps. Actually I would be good with even loosing one lump. I feel a little stylish - like a bit of a 'runner' and not a make-shift raggamuffin. I am not as emotional this time round. I don't choke up after I run up a hill. I haven't choked up after Megan turns back to run with me. And I haven't struggled. I am on the right track. This year, I haven't run at the back of the group - not that there is anything wrong with that. I haven't struggled with my breathing. And I have tackled a hill like it's a walk in the park. I have a positive attitude. I am trying to turn my 'Must run. Hate to run. Must run.' attitude into 'Must run b/c I love it'. I may be a little exaggerative when I say 'love' - but I am enjoying it - I am doing something for me - and I want to do it because I WANT to and not because I HAVE to. 

Alrighty - let's get on to dinner. Now I have to warn you - that this dish doesn't really look appealing - it may look something like they would serve in prison - no offense pris. But in the end - sometimes you have to trade looks for flavour. Sounds like my last date. Ha!!!! Just kidding, Chris. Anyways, it's a good easy dish. It reminds me of when I was first living with my grandma and relied on a good ol' can of Campbell's often. 

I will probably call this dinner:

What to cook for dinner when you don't want to cook

Ingredients: 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, 1 head of cauliflower, 1 bunch of asparagus, 2 cups of sliced mushrooms, 1.5 cans of Cream of Broccoli (low fat) soup, 1/2 cup of sour cream.

Cut the chicken breasts in half. Place them in a casserole dish and season lightly with kosher salt and pepper. 

Check to see if your boy dog is watching you.

And your girl dog. Yes - check.

Chop the cauliflower into small pieces and place on top of the chicken in the dish. Then add the mushrooms, and the asparagus that have been chopped into small pieces. 

In a bowl, mix the soup and sour cream together. I seasoned it this mixture with a pinch of celery salt, fresh ground pepper, and a pinch of chili peppers. 

Spread the mixture over top of the vegetables and chicken. Don't worry - it is thick but it will become creamy during baking. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a 400 oven for 1 hour. 

And that's it! Serve on top of brown rice - and you have an easy dinner that didn't take any time to make.

So... if you have a spare minute - send me a vibe - give me some inspiration - tell me to get off of my Royal Canadian and make dinner for the love of god!!!!

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: