Thursday, February 4, 2010

Non-traditional is good!

When I started my new Running for My Life series - 2010 - I knew that there were going to be some challenges. Challenges in the sense that I have to alter my semi-organized, comfortable, day to day existence, and spice it up. Spice it up with sweat, heavy breathing, curse words (hmmm?), and nights away from the comfort of my own home. But, it's all for a good cause. It's for me. For me that I head out with runners on my feet to 'run for my life'. So far I have successfully completed week 3 of my Thursday night clinic - and week two of Tuesday nights. So far so good.

One of the challenges was being away on Thursday nights. Thursdays are Chris' and mine first night that we can spend more than 1 hour together before I have to hit the hay. I love it - it's like my Friday almost. Chris is very supportive - he loves that I am running and he makes sure to whip home to walk the pups - so that my guilt doesn't eat at me - that they are home alone, as they have been all day and haven't had a good walk. Check. Chris does this great. Another challenge is ensuring that we're eating sensibly and I am not wishing that there was a KFC on the home to pick up the Easter Feaster bucket O chicken. Ok - really I just through that it so that the story had a really good affect. I can't do KFC.  

I planned our dinner last night - and next week will even be more organized. I whipped up a chicken caesar salad - and it turned out to be delicious. I feel that it was a great and healthy and light dinner to have after a run. FYI - the run tonight - slow. Slooooowww. My new friend, Deb, wasn't there so I ran a bit on my own and then ran with some women that I confronted when it was a bit dark and I was solo. I am trying so hard to make this year different from last. We ran 9 sets tonight - 1.5 minutes running and 2.5 minutes walking. It felt great - I struggled a bit, but I am comparing myself to last year - and I know that it is different - so that makes me think that it can only get better.

So back to dinner. I don't make a tradition caesar salad. In fact, I have never made from scratch, caesar salad dressing. I do make my own croutons (most of the time) and I do like to add bacon and fresh parmesan cheese, but I think that there are some great dressings out there that are low in calories and don't take up the time of preparing the dressing.  I am going to make this my Thursday night dinner - and love it every time.


Non-traditional Caesar Salad

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts - cut into thin strips         1 tsp garlic powder
1 romaine lettuce - chopped into bite size pieces
1 medium yellow pepper - cut into thin strips
1 cup of grape tomatoes - sliced in half
Caesar salad dressing - try Renee's Roasted Garlic with yogurt - so delicious
Croutons - I like to make my own - but I love Marcy's Multigrain Croutons
Parmesan cheese - freshly grated if you have it on hand




In a saute pan - add 1tbsp of olive oil. Add the garlic powder, and saute on medium heat for about 15 minutes until the chicken starts to brown.

Wash and dry the romaine leaves. I washed and dried ours before running tonight. I wrapped it in a lightly dampened paper towel and then put it in a ziploc bag.

Cut the yellow pepper into thinly strips.

Slice grape tomatoes into half. These gems were picked up at the Root Cellar this weekend - and they were delicious. Almost as close to my crop :)

Add everything to a large bowl. Top with the salad dressing. Start out with a small amount and add more if needed. I don't like my salad drenched in dressing.

Top the tossed salad with parmesan cheese and croutons and give the salad another toss.

Serve the salad on to a plate or a bowl and top with warm chicken. And you have a meal fit for Royalty.

Alright friends. I am off tomorrow night with the 'phews. We're going out for dinner - for ribs. Callum's favourite. I am so excited that the weekend is near. Oh so near.  Plan something good.

Loves.

Enjoy! 

1 comment:

Jenny said...

You're such an inspiration!!!! I am trying hard to fit my walks in...
I make an untraditional ceasar on a regular basis=yumminess!!!
Have a fun time with the 'phews...