Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Heart.

Hi Hump Day friends. So happy that it is mid-week. It's been a good week so far. Well, let me re-phrase - it's been a week of ups and downs - but in the end, all in all, good.

I don't want to gross you out - don't worry I won't put any gross pictures up so you will refuse to visit my blog again - but I will tell you: I have broke out in a full on - full blown rash. See - I told you!!! Gross!!! Apparently the allergy to orange juice that I had as a kid - I still have. Who knew? I guess my recent addiction to orange juice and ice cubes - was not the best thing for me. So, thanks to Benadryl - I am on the mend. Don't worry it isn't contagious. And it won't leave a scar. And hopefully I will be rash free for a wedding that I have on Saturday. Not my wedding. My wedding will hopefully be before the end of the year. I am rambling. I could be known as the Rambler!!!! You got to know when to hold it. Know when to fold it....

I ran last night. We did a 4 min run with a 2 min walk. I struggled. I am sorry if I am sounding like a broken record from week to week - it's just been a struggle. I try not to beat myself up about how slow I am - but last night was a challenge for me. I may start out in the front during the run, and through the 4 minutes I always end up in the back. Then the group will loop back, so I'm up at the front again, and then always ending at the back. One of the leaders last night, Shannon, was so supportive. She was reminding me that I was out running, and that it was only 4 minutes - just take the 4 minutes one at a time. At one point, I got so emotional. I started to welt up - I did that sort of gasp for air before you wail - and then had to talk myself out of it. I reminded myself that crying when running is not only unattractive but takes up way more energy than just running and breathing. 

I need to keep reminding myself that it's not about speed. I am running to become healthy. I am running to become active. I am running for myself. I am running for my life! It's just a hard reminder for myself when I am at the back of the pack - always watching people's heels. 

I have struggled with this over the past couple of weeks. I still am excited to run - and I am excited that I am incorporating this into my life. I was watching Oprah today, and Jessica Simpson was on. They were talking about the struggles that she has had with how the media has portrayed her weight. She is by no means overweight - but the media has obsessed about her in 'mom jeans' and how her weight is out of control. Pretty harsh. I realize that being in the limelight is what happens when you are famous - 'it's part of the job' - but c'mon - do people really wonder why we (I am not speaking for all of you) as girls and women struggle with insecurities! 

I am not a JS fan, but I do like what she said. She said, "What makes a woman beautiful, is her heart." For some reason - I broke down. I for a split second related this to my running. I thought "What makes a woman a runner, is her heart". I know, you may be thinking, Cracker, but it just tugged at my heart. I am running, I am trying and I am succeeding. So I shouldn't focus on how fast I get there, but how I get there. 

Sigh.

Now let's get to the good stuff. I haven't done a cauliflower recipe for awhile, so with 2 large cauliflowers in the fridge, I knew that I had to do something. So, on the menu for tonight's dinner - Cauliflower Gratin. Yumma.

Cauliflower Gratin
1 large cauliflower - cut in to florets and then chopped into strips - about 1 inch thick
2/3 cups of heavy cream
1 tbsp of garlic powder
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper 
Fresh chives - 1/4 cup - chopped into small pieces
1 cup of gruyere cheese - grated 
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tsp dried oregano
Pre-heat the oven to 375. Place the sliced florets into a large baking casserole. In a small bowl mix the heavy cream, garlic powder, kosher salt and pepper together and pour over the cauliflower. Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over top of the cauliflower, and then top with the panko bread crumbs and dried oregano. 


Bake for 45 minutes. Serve warm. And enjoy!!!

Thanks for listening to my rant friends. Be good - the weekend is among us - and we can soak in all of the goodness that rest can do for us.

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheryl, you are beautiful, both inside and out, just remeber that when you are runing, who cares how fast you go, you are still running, love Mom