Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Jozie you are NOT an alarm clock.


day 3 dinner challenge. a turkey yam salad.

Dear Jozie,

Please stop waking me up in the middle of the night for me to lift you off the bed so that you can get a drink of water. I am not a fan of this behaviour. When you do wake me up - Magnum also wakes up and thinks that there is some sort of a party going on. If you can jump out of the truck on to pavement, I am not sure why you can't jump off of the bed on to a cushy rug. 

Please consider me at 1 AM.

Loves, 
C.

Oh who am I kidding. She probably isn't even going to read this blog.

Yes!!! I am lacking sleep. 3 nights in a row - is messing with my chi. Not chai tea latte. Chi. I am goofy. I am also feeling a little bummed this evening. Just going to take a moment to vent - please go ahead if you don't want to listen to me whine. Sometimes I wish that Chris and I could have a normal* evening together. *Normal - one that we are both home from work around 5ish. We take the pups for a walk. And then make dinner together, do the dishes and retire to the living room where we laugh, dance and sing. Ok everything up until the last part is what I am hoping for. I'm just missing my beau on St. Patrick's Day. And most days. 

Day 3 of my challenge  - and all is well. I really loved dinner again tonight. I feel really good after eating it too. I think that I should have clarified - I don't always have heavy carbs for dinner - but I do make pasta maybe once or twice every couple of weeks. We have brown rice and occasionally potatoes. This challenge has been great! I like finding different options, healthy options, and having fun with it.

Tonight's dinner was inspired by turkey breasts. Turkey and salad - oh ya - very deelish. I prepared enough to make dinner for tonight and our lunches for tomorrow.


Turkey and Maple Yams Mixed Green Salad

4 turkey breasts fillets
Mixed greens - I had two small containers of mixed organic greens - there was enough greens in 1 container for 2 salads
Bunches of mizuna (pic to the right)- yum!!! I haven't used this before. Coarsely chopped.
Fresh basil leaves - chiffonaded - visit HERE to learn how to do this 
1 large yam - peeled and chopped into very tiny pieces
1 large handful of dried cranberries
1/3 cup maple syrup
Kosher salt and pepper
Pinches of red pepper flakes 

Dressing: Olive oil and apple cider vinegar - half and half - whisked together with kosher salt and pepper. 

Pre-heat the oven to 400. Season the turkey breasts with a dash of olive oil, poultry seasoning, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Cook for 35 - 40 minutes.

In a large skillet, add a dash of olive oil and then add the yams. Season with kosher salt and pepper, and a few pinches of red pepper flakes (add more if you like it hot) and then the maple syrup. Saute over medium heat, stirring continuously until the yams are soft. This may take about 20-25 minutes. Add the dried cranberries about 2/3 of the way through and continue to saute. 

Once the turkey is cooked through - slice each breast into very thin strips. Once this is done - it's time to put it all together.

In a large salad bowl, place all of the greens including the basil. Top with the turkey and the yams. Add a couple of tablespoons of the dressing, and gently toss.

You may think that it s a bit odd having the hot with the cold, but trust me, this is delicious. The greens don't wilt from the warmth of the yams and turkey. The warmth brings out the aroma of the basil making it look and taste divine. The apple cider is lovely and brings out the sweetness from the maple syrup on the yams. 

Chris LOVED this one. He gave it a 5!!! I think that this would be a great appetizer for a dinner. I will definitely make this one again.

Alright - half way through writing - my beau came home and brought a Blizzard treat. Hello!!!! It was just what I needed. Just when I am feeling sorry for myself and missing him - he is thinking of me - and brought me home something delicious (it was choco chip mint) in celebration of St. Paddy's day. 

Alrighty friends. I hope that Hump Day was good to you.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: