Monday, March 1, 2010

Let's do this!

Short and sweet. That is exactly what this blog will be tonight. I made 2 new dishes - one last night to take to a baby shower and one for dinner tonight. I think that these are both keepers - and I am excited to share.


Warm Crab Dip

This was one of those recipes - where I knew how I wanted it to taste - I just wasn't entirely sure how to make it work out. In the end, served warm, it was delicious. A 'cozy' flavour that made me want to dive in - box of crackers in hand - and then I remembered that, that isn't classy.

1 can of crab meat (I think that it is around 250g) - if you have fresh - use that!!! Chop it very finely.
2/3 of a brick of cream cheese - chopped into small squares
1 cup - grated mozzarella
1/2 cup - fresh grated parmesan 
1/4 cup - fresh chives - finely chopped - or cut with scissors
Kosher salt and lots of freshly ground pepper

In a large bowl, mix everything together. Transfer to a baking casserole dish - and bake uncovered in a 400 oven for about 25 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove from the oven and stir to ensure that all of the cheesy goodness is combined. 

Serve along side crackers or a sliced baguette. Deelish!

Remember THIS recipe? I'm mot sure if you've had an opportunity to make it or not. If you haven't, add it to your 'to do' list this year. Trust me, you will not be disappointed. Anyways, I was going to make this to take to the baby shower yesterday, but after roasting a chicken, I ran out of energy - so I decided to make it for dinner tonight - with a twist. Twist = good!


Spinach and Artichoke Pasta

1 box of whole wheat pasta - I used rotini - but I think would have preferred Linguini - cooked until el dente
1 medium onion - chopped
4 cloves of garlic - minced
1-2 bags of spinach - I used two b/c they were in the fridge and needed to be used
1 can of artichoke hearts - minced
1/2 cup of cream cheese - chopped into small pieces
1/2 cup of chicken stock
3/4 cup of shredded mozzarella 
1/2 cup of shredded parmesan

In a large skillet, saute the chopped onion for about 8 minutes in a splash of olive oil and a pinch of kosher salt. Add garlic and saute for a minute or two - be careful not to burn the garlic. It happens :). Add the spinach, and saute until the leaves start to slightly wilt. Add the chopped artichoke hearts, the cream cheese and the stock. Let simmer for a couple of minutes. Then add the shredded cheese and stir thoroughly and heat through. Add the pasta to the sauce in small bunches, to ensure that it is evenly coated. 

And that's it! It tastes like the creamy, cheesy Spinach and Artichoke Dip - just with some hearty, healthy pasta.

That's it for me - I hope that you give one of these, or both, a try.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: