Sunday, March 21, 2010

Oh bearded one.

My bearded Fiance. I have told him it has to go before our big day :)

Can you believe that this weekend has come and gone? It always goes by so quickly. It has been 'low impact' around here this weekend. Just the way I like it from time to time. Chris and I had a great dog walk yesterday morning, I went to Ferris' for lunch with the lovely Micki, I watched a lame movie, I went for a run, I did my weekly shop at the Root Cellar, and I am ending it with the Amazing Race and my pups curled up beside me. 

Life is good. Another week is about to start - and it will be a busy one. I have an appt. tomorrow with a company that hopefully will help with some wedding decor. Tuesday, I have to miss running as I am taking my nephews and sister to Hedley - it should be a fun concert! I can't wait to see Callum rocking out. 

Our challenge of last week - eating just vegetables and protein - mostly salads - was really great! I loved the freshness of dinner each night - and how I didn't feel like loafing about b/c of a heavy meal. I stalked up again today on a bunch of vegetables, lots of different salad fixin's, so I think that we will stick with this plan. The challenge will be to keep things fun and tasty. At lunch on Saturday I had a big salad - it was just mixed greens, with sprouts, tomatoes, cucumbers and chick peas - and it had a very yummy creamy feta dressing. So, I'm sure you can guess, I will be attempting to figure out that recipe this week. 

Friday night, we tried to switch it up a bit. We made burgers. I made turkey burgers for myself and Chris made beef. We used Weight Watcher's whole wheat buns - we really like them, b/c they are small and not overly filling. 
This morning, I laced up the New Balance, and with my route in my head, I returned the movie via foot instead of via car. I started out strong, ran about 5 mins, hit a hill and started to slow down a bit. Then ran again, hit a hill, started to slow down a bit. Then ran again.... See where this is going? As I was running, I think of everything. And I mean, EVERYTHING. Today's thoughts besides keep your thumbs up, relax your shoulders, don't look at your watch, pump your arms, you can do this - you will do this - you are doing this, were things like - oh man I want a donut - who is making the donuts????, oh man - is that Subway's sausage - I want a bun with sausage on it!!!!, I want the bakery's fresh bread... And just when I think that I am getting better with my struggles and I am able to tackle the goose like a trained runner*, I do a side street run. Oh my friends, that was a challenge that I just wasn't prepared for. All in all, it was a run of just under 5K. It could have been worse. And as I have beat myself up about this all day - just before I am ready to post my blog tonight, I see Pilar's comment from earlier today. She saw me running - She Saw Me Running!!!! I loved her comment - it meant so much.

*Runner - Sole Sister running clinic member :)

There is a great site that you can use to track your walk or run - www.mapmyrun.com - you can put in where you start and end and it will track the distance. 

For tonight's dinner - I fixed my craving for Barley Risotto! I love it. It's easy - much easier than traditional risotto, and I think healthier. To accompany it, I did something different with pork tenderloin - all inspired by fresh, magnificent basil from the Root Cellar. The dish turned out to be rustic and delicious.

Pork Tenderloin in a Tomato Basil Sauce

2 pork tenderloins - I used small tenderloins - sorry I didn't get the weight - sliced into 1.5 inch medallions
1 medium size onion - chopped
4 cloves of garlic - minced
1 bottle or can of stewed tomatoes
8-10 mushrooms - thinly sliced
1/2 bunch of spinach
Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper
Dried oregano
Pinch of sugar
Fresh basil 

In a large skillet, saute the onion in olive oil with a pinch of kosher salt. Saute for about 7 minutes. Add garlic. Saute for another minute and then add the tenderloin. Saute for about another 7 minutes. Add the stewed tomatoes, the pinch of sugar, the mushrooms and spinach, along with the dried oregano (about 1 tsp) and the fresh ground pepper, cover and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes. 


Just before you are ready to serve, add the chiffonaded basil. Let the basil simmer for a couple of minutes - and then it is ready to serve. 


And with that, I will close. I have things to do*, people to see**. 

Loves.

Enjoy!!

* - look for any sort of chocolate
** - hang out with my pups

No comments: