Tuesday, March 16, 2010

S.S times two.



day 2 dinner challenge. spinach salad. 

Picture this:

20 women. A windy pre-spring night. Hills. A whistle that blows after 6 minutes and then again after 1 minute. 20 women cheering each other on. High fives. Pumping arms. Puddles. More hills. Encouraging words. 

Are you picturing it?

What I have described above is a typical Tuesday night with the Sole Sisters. Tonight was a great night! It was a fun night. The run was challenging - but we were all in it together. We did 6 mins run and 1 min walk - with 6 - 30 second hills. Oh those hills. A couple of weeks ago Sister Shannon, she's not really a 'sister' in a religious sort of way... I am sure that she is someone's sister - and really she could be a religious 'sister' - all I really know her as is a Sole Sister. Ok, anyways. A couple of weeks ago on one of my 'struggles' she told me to pump my arms. Focus on pumping my arms and my feet will follow what my arms are doing. And you know what, it worked!!! I have been told to pump my arms before, but it never registered. Tonight on our last hill - which was long and steep (probably close to what Mt. Finlayson is like - well I have never done Mt. Finlayson, it's just what I imagine it's like that) - Sister Shannon said 'pump your arms. keep your head down. and move your feet'. It worked. We rocked that hill!

I feel so blessed to run with such a great group of inspiring women. I met a woman named Jacqueline (sp?) who told me that she had read my blog and that she is always at the back of her group - it meant a lot to me that she came up and shared that with me. I guess someone always needs to be in the back. 

I also met Donna R - who won the watch. So happy that it went to her - she is very excited to have it. And... we also had Margot run with us tonight. If it weren't for Margot, I wouldn't have finished running the 10K last year - love her.

Alright - running - over and out. Let's get to the good stuff.

Tonight's dinner was inspired about a dressing that I have been itching to try. I have a favourite Caesar Salad dressing that is made with yogurt - so I wanted to try a spinach salad dressing with yogurt. I love plain yogurt! My next experiment will be to try and do a Caesar dressing with the plain yogurt. 

On the menu: Spinach Salad. This was a very easy and very quick dinner to prepare. It was delicious and something will be made again. This recipe is enough for 4 big salads. We had dinner tonight and lunch is in the fridge and ready for tomorrow.

Spinach Salad with Sims Style Dressing

1. 5 bags of fresh spinach 
3 roasted peppers - see below - 
2 cups of sliced mushrooms
5 hard boiled eggs - I did these last night - peeled and cut into pieces

Dressing:
2 tbsp of maple syrup
1-2 tbsp of mustard - I would have preferred to have used Dijon mustard - but didn't have any so simply used French's - I wasn't disappointed
3 heaping tablespoons of plain yogurt - Olympic brand is my favourite
Dash of kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
Whisk all together


Roasting peppers. Slice the peppers in half and place cut side down on a parchment lined or aluminum foil lined baking sheet. Place in an oven that is set to Broil. Broil for about 10 minutes or until the skin starts to blister. Let them cool and gently take the skin off. If you are in a hurry, you can wrap them in paper towel and place them in the fridge for about 5 minutes.


Place all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl - then add the dressing - give it a good toss and it's ready to go. For lunches tomorrow - I have set the dressing aside so that it doesn't wilt the spinach leaves. 

And that's it.  I loved this dressing! LOVED it. I have met day two and am ready for tomorrow's dinner. It will involve yams, turkey, cranberries, mixed greens and whatever I can find to throw in. 

Alright Tuesday fans - Wednesday is almost here. Good 'ol Wednesday. 

Loves.

Enjoy!!

No comments: