Monday, March 29, 2010

Vegelicious.


I love a good Mason Jar - everything looks good in a Mason Jar

Hi friends. I have been MIA. Well - not really. I have been laying low - just doing stuff that needs to get done. It's been a busy week - but a good one. So, what have I been doing? Well, I went and saw a concert*, went for lunch with a friend. watched UFC, did some cleaning, dog walks, spent some good old fashioned time with my fiance** and made some delicious dishes***.

*Hedley - so good! Callum really liked it too. They played with some other bands - that I could have passed on - mostly b/c there were two 13 year old girls screaming at the top of their lungs behind me. I seriously have never been able to scream like that. As a young girl I was always envious of the other girls - envious I couldn't get my high pitch to that squeal that breaks glass. Instead, mine was this yell - a little raspy. Now 15 years later (are you doing the math?) I am pleased that my scream can't pop ear drums or make you want to pull your hair out.  But seriously - the concert was really good. They are all incredibly talented and entertaining and you can tell that they love what they do. AND, they are good 'ol BC boys. 

**Fiance - has just come off a month of the graveyard shift. I know that it was only a month - but b/c he teaches 5 days a week - it made for a long month of us literally seeing each other for 20 minutes a night through out the week. And, it messes with his body and he is tired all the time. My dad did shift work. He did 2 12 hour days and then 2 12 hour nights. Although they were long days, he got four days off to recover. I used to hate him being on nights - and I think about my mom being home with 3 kids under 4 on her own. So... I can't complain at all, but I missed him - and I am always super paranoid being home alone. 

***Delicious dishes. Let's get to the good stuff. I have been doing some cooking. Trying to eat healthy - and be satisfied.

On Thursday I made a nice mixed green salad with salmon that was cooked in soy sauce, garlic, ginger and fresh orange juice and orange rind. This was delicious, but the celebrity of the dinner was a fresh basil and feta dressing that I made. Yumma in my tumma!


In a blender add - lots of fresh basil - maybe 10 big leaves, 1/2 cup of feta, drizzle of olive oil and 1/2 cup of plain yogurt. Season with a pinch of kosher salt - and then blend away. It turns out to be so creamy and the colour is spectacular. I love the creaminess of this and it stored nicely in the fridge for a couple of days. For dinner last night we made souvlaki wraps - and we used the leftover dressing as the sauce. So delicious. 

Last night to go with our souvlaki's, we had roasted rosemary potatoes and sauteed zucchini with feta. 

Roasted garlic and rosemary potatoes


Nugget potatoes - maybe 2 large cups full - cut into small pieces
1/4 cup melted butter (whatever - sometimes you need to treat yourself to something and then promise that you won't eat it again for a full month - we made the pledge)
3 garlic cloves - minced
Fresh rosemary - or dried rosemary (although I have rosemary bush - I used the dried organic rosemary that cuzzie Margo sent me for Christmas) - 2 tbsp 

Warning - this recipe is easy. Super easy.
Pre-heat oven to 425.  Chop up the potatoes and add them to a shallow baking dish. In a small saucepan, melt the butter and add the garlic. Pour the butter over the potatoes. Sprinkle with the rosemary and give them a gentle stir. Bake in the 425 oven for 45 minutes. They will go a golden brown and smell like heaven. 

I couldn't resist - I had to peak while they were cooking

To go with the rosemary potatoes I made a favourite zucchini dish that I first made a couple of years ago. I love zucchini and I love feta - so I combined the two. This too, is a very easy dish - and if you like zucchini and feta - then I am pretty sure that you will love this. 


Sauteed Zucchini with Feta

1 medium onion - very thinly sliced

1 medium zucchini - very thinly sliced

Saute onion for about 8 minutes in a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of kosher salt. Add zucchini, and over medium low heat, saute. Stir continuously, ensuring that the zucchini and onions don't stick to the pan. When the zucchini is soft and lightly browned, remove from the heat and stir in feta cheese - maybe 1/3 cup crumbled feta. Stir in the feta - and serve warm. If you are like me - you may want to marry this dish - but then you will remember that you can't marry vegetables with feta. 

I hope that you give these a try - you will like them, I am pretty sure.

Chris just told me that he used to wear a silk black, button up shirt to the clubs in his younger years. It made me laugh out loud. Then I told him that I would have tried to pick him up if we had ever met - and then we stopped talking about that b/c it makes us laugh. And then we went back to enjoying 'How I Met Your Mother' - that show is good. Oh my - our exciting lives.

Loves.

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you back on line, I have to play solitaire now, when I run my bath, used to read your day
Mom