Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter Feaster.


Magnum and what he does best - carrying his monkey around 

Well, the Easter weekend is over. It's amazing how different it turned out from what I had planned. In the end, it has all worked out divinely - our wee Magnum is home; Easter dinner was shared with friends and family; and some quality time with my fiance (I still find it funny saying that). 

I will forever think of April Fool's Day and Easter 2010 as the time that Magnum went missing. I will also think of it as the time that Magnum spent a night in a horrible storm by himself. And I will think of it as the time that Magnum went on a road trip with a stranger. But with all these sad memories, I will remember that Magnum was reunited with us and we will never let him go again.


So our weekend ended up being great. I had my sister and my phews over for lunch yesterday - a little Caesar salad and chicken wings. A nice visit. It's amazing how they are growing up so fast. Connor is 15 almost 16 - and he is so different. He is still a loving boy and he and his brother have my heart every time they are around; however, he is in 'discussions' with me about bringing a 'date' to our wedding. If you see him on the street or at the baseball park - please pass this message on to him for me. 'NO'. Thanks.

Why is the oldest guy - smiling like an oddball?

We did our Easter dinner tonight. I was up early. I mean early. 7AM. I think that my body thought that it was a work day - and didn't want to let me keep resting. So, I started early - and by 3:30 I literally was done everything. Love it when it all works out that way.

On the menu:

Turkey
Ham
Mashed potatoes
Stuffing with sausage
Turnips with red pepper flakes
Sauteed corn with red, orange and green peppers
Layered salad*
Nachynka (will post next time)
Strawberry cake - delicious - thanks to Tina!!
Carrot cake muffins

*The layered salad that I made was a favourite from having dinner with the Sherstans each Easter. The Sherstans were our family friends when growing up. Mrs. Sherstan was an amazing cook and I think that a lot of my love of cooking and entertaining comes from her. She always threw the greatest parties and always had the best food. When I look back, I think that I watched her closely - I watched how she entertained and took mental notes. :) 

Anyways - she made this salad each Easter and it is delicious. It is easy. Very easy. But it looks amazing and is always a hit at each dinner.  It can be made the night before - how perfect is that? And then, the next day it's one less dish to have to make. 

The pic doesn't do it justice.

Mrs. Sherstan's Layered Salad

1 iceberg lettuce - chopped into small bite size pieces
1 small romaine lettuce or bunch of spinach - chopped into small bite size pieces (I didn't add this, this time - but it is a nice addition)
1 1/2 cups of frozen peas (uncooked)
6 hard boiled eggs - sliced
3 stalks of celery - sliced really thin
1 bunch of green onions - chopped
1 small tin of water chestnuts - sliced
8-10 strips of bacon - crisp and crumbled into small pieces
1 cup shredded cheese

In a rectangular casserole dish - I use one of the clear glass pyrex dishes - layer the salad in the order as they are listed below. 

Topping:
1 cup of mayonnaise
1 cup of sour cream
1 tsp of sugar
Fresh cracked pepper

Gently spread the topping on top of the salad - and that's it! Let it sit overnight or for at least 4-6 hours. It's fresh and crisp and delicious.


These are the cupcakes that I made. I make them every year - they are my favourites. I use a carrot cake cake mix - add walnuts, fresh grated carrots and raisins and bake. For the icing - I use a pack of softened cream cheese and icing sugar. And then broil coconut and gently put on top of the icing to make it look like a little nest. They are cute and delicious. 

For dinner - not only did we have a good feast shared with friends and family, but we also had Jules and Chris dancing in the kitchen to Slipknot. Oh my. Jules looks likes she is really enjoying herself - she doesn't really know who 'Slipknot' are. And she doesn't really know that Chris is trying to mosh with her. Oh my. Let's hope that they don't do this 'number' at our wedding. You should see the video. 

Although Slipknot is playing - I'm sure Jules is hearing 'Old Time Rock 'n Roll'
Uh, Chris - don't dance like that with my mom.
Pretty sure Jules has her eyes closed.

Well I hope that you all had a good weekend and a good Easter. 

Life is back to normal - just the way we like it.

Loves. 

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the pictures of me with a spilled on top, by the way, What is Mosh? Great Dinner

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say that I enjoy reading your blog! Everything always sounds and looks so yummy!

Lisa (from running)