Monday, April 19, 2010

Remember when...

You could do anything without hesitation? When, if you had fear about pushing yourself, it lasted for a minute and then you just moved on? Remember when your thoughts were consumed by hanging with your friends, riding bikes, eating ice cream without guilt, sleepovers... If you can't remember - go back, go way way back. 

Today I asked a question to my co-workers - prompting them to think back to their youth and remembering a time to share with the group. I have been thinking of a story all day - in the process I remembered the freedom of being a child. Where if I had to do something that challenged me, I just did it. I remember being nervous and hesitant - but it was so much easier to risk everything back then, than it is now. Now, I realize that trying to do flips on the monkey bars at 8 is a lot easier than doing them at 35. But that feeling of having no reservations, no pressure, be the best that you can be. This is how I remember a lot of moments. I know that they weren't all like that - but for my memories - I feel that I managed with whatever was thrown my way.

I have been working on my psychi (not sure if that is even a word) for Sunday. Race day. 10K run day. A day of running with 15000 other runner/walkers. See how I'm doing that? Taking the pressure away from thinking of the 10K as a race. Huh? huh? What do you think? *sniff. Ok, well really I just thought of that - but will try to do a bit more of that. I have an easy 30 minute run tomorrow - that will be a good run - and the entire time, I will remember that I can do this - I will do this - I am doing this.

I think that it's so important to be able to go back to a place where we felt strong, smart, proud of ourselves, confident and try and remember how we can get back to that place to get through whatever challenges we need to face.

Alrighty - I made a full on veggie meal last night. I did Barley Risotto - love this dish. Super easy - and so delicious. I also made stuffed sweet red peppers and some slow roasted Campino tomatoes. 

Stuffed Sweet Peppers

I picked up these beautiful peppers at The Rootcellar this weekend. They are so sweet and crisp and taste just that little bit better than a regular red pepper. They came in a pack of three - but this recipe would be enough to fill 4.

3-4 red sweet red peppers
1 zucchini
1 yellow pepper
1 onion
1 garlic clove
1/4 cup minced Italian flat leaf parsley
1/2 cup goat cheese
1/2 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs


Cut the pepper down lengthwise - cut the top 1/4 off - so that the bottom 3/4 can be used to hold the stuffing. 

With the remaining top piece, chop them into tiny pieces. It's good to keep things small so that they can easily be stuffed into the peppers.

Ok - I have to be honest. This was the first pic I took of the chopped peppers - notice the background? I took the pic and realized the jumbo M&M bag hiding in the back. Chris gave me these for Easter and he opened them on his week off and he and my sister gobbled them down this weekend.

Chop the zucchini into small pieces too. I like to cut the zucchini into 3 pieces. Then I place a flat side down and cut four strips one way and then four strips the other way - and then I lay the pieces down flat and chop into small squares. It's super easy and you can get your pieces in a uniform shape.

Once you have chopped your vegetables - in a large saucepan with a drizzle of olive oil, saute your chopped onion. When your onions are golden, add the minced garlic - don't let it burn. Add the zucchini and saute for about 5 minutes. Then add the chopped red and yellow peppers. Continue to saute for another 5 minutes. Add the chopped flat leaf parsley and some black pepper. When the vegetables have softened - not mushy - remove the pan from the heat and add in the crumbled goat cheese and mix. Spoon out the mixture into the peppers. Top with the parmesan cheese and then the panko breadcrumbs. 

Bake in a 350 oven for 20 minutes - or until top is nice and brown. 

They are not only so beautiful (I think) but so delicious. 

Ok - my lovely fiance is home - and we are off to watch the hockey game - we have PVR'd it and are hoping that our boys do well.

Tomorrow is a new day - a day for taking care of business. I made taco salads tonight for dinner with a crisp tortilla bowl - and will share it with you tomorrow night. 

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: