Sunday, April 18, 2010

Sweet Sunday.

Dear Canucks, you are welcome at our table, any time.

Oh Sweet Sunday. I love Sunday's - I have ever since I was a kid. I am not too sure why really - as it is the sign of the end of the week - and it all starts over again tomorrow. It's a day for taking that deep breath in and enjoying the end of a weekend. I think that it always has signified 'family' time for me too. We always had big family with dinner guests for dinner lots of Sunday nights growing up. We almost always had roast beef with yorkshire puddings - probably the reason why I don't eat roast beef now :) And now - I try to have family over whenever we can on Sunday nights - and if there isn't family there - it's pretty much always the night that Chris and I sit down at the table together and have our dinner - placemats and everything. :)

Well on this fine Sunday - I am having a bit of a guilty conscience. I really know that b/c it is so beautiful out that I should be embarking on weedfest 2010 and starting to clean up the gardens. Instead, I am sitting out on the deck listening to my neighbours dogs bark instead. Hmm... they sure have a lot to say today. I have no desire. I know it needs to get done - and when it's crunch time - i.e., the pots need to be planted and my small veggie garden needs to be loaded up - I will get 'er done. For today - think that I may just sit on my Royal Canadian and 'think' about doing it instead. 

The weekend has been a good one. We went to 'Date Night' with friends Tracy and JR on Friday night. I thought it was a funny movie - but mostly loved my 'Hollywood Husband' Mark Wahlberg - he had like a 3 minute role in total - and for me, he made the movie. Saturday - we slept in. Can't believe it! 9:45 - then made a delicious smoothy, then took the pups on a big long hike - and then went on an hour long bike ride. Chris bought me a bike for my bday last year - and sadly, I have not used it. Yesterday it was christened - and it did very well. It was a nice ride - thankfully we live right close to the Galloping Goose - so it's a great trail to ride - no traffic. Chris loves biking! He kept insisting that if I was going down a hill that I should keep my legs moving at all times and that I should be peddling backwards - each time that he insisted this - I used more and more curse words - pretty sure that about 1 min before we got home, he realized that we had different 'styles' of biking. 

Callum and Debs came over yesterday for dinner and to watch the hockey game. Dear Canucks - you played well - and tomorrow night will be  your game - don't fret. 

I made, which I think were my best ones to date, ground chicken meatballs to have in souvlakis, with homemade tzatziki sauce and greek salad. It was an easy dinner - and something that I will definitely be making again. 

I wish that I had taken a picture of all of the ingredients for the meatballs - but the camera was out of juice. I just added - 3 small packs of ground chicken, one egg, 1/3 cup of panko breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup of freshly grated parmesan, 1/3 cup of finely chopped Italian flat leaf parsley, 1 large garlic clove (minced) and pepper. I have never used the parsley before and it was so delicious and so colourful. The garlic was from my running friend's, Donna's, garden - and it was so awesome. There really isn't like anything that is freshly grown like that. I sauteed them for about 10 minutes and then just added them to a casserole dish to keep warm in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes. They didn't dry out - and they were so flavourful.

Tzatziki
I make this often - usually different ways - but last night's turned out really well - so I wanted to make note of it. I used fresh dill - and it made all of the difference. Sometimes you may have read that I would like to marry something b/c it is so good. Yesterday after a trip to the Rootcellar - I had a big bunch of fresh dill in the back of the car - and the aroma that it was exuding - was fabulous. And when I got into the car after a short trip into Safeway - I wanted to marry the dill. I can't say enough.


Ok, I digress - let's do this.

325 grams of plain yogurt - half a large container
1 large garlic cloved - finely minced
1/2 a large english cucumber - grated
3 tbsp fresh dill - finely chopped 
Fresh ground pepper

After the cucumber has been peeled and grated - place it in a coffee filter or cheese cloth - inside a strainer and let it sit for as long as you can. I let mine sit for about 30 minutes. When the cucumber has had some of it's moisture strained out - add all of the ingredients together - cover and let sit (if you have time) so that all of the flavours can marry - see everyone wants to marry dill - he's so popular. 
I used some great souvlaki pitas that I picked up at the Rootcellar this week - I really like them. They are thin - and pretty big - so one is definitely enough per person. With finely chopped lettuce, chopped tomatoes, the meatballs and the tzatziki as the grand finale - you have made yourself a delicious and relatively healthy dinner.

For dessert - we had fresh strawberries - and the most amazing yogurts. If you haven't tried Liberte yogurt - please do. Trust me, you will NOT  be disappointed. We had lemon and a new flavour that we found - coconut. This stuff, to me, is better than ice cream and better than whipped cream. If you are calorie counting - don't look at the measurements on the label - just try it and know that when you have it - that it is a treat for being so good.


For tonight's dinner - I am making old favourites: Barley Risotto, Stuffed Sweet Peppers (I have made them before, but I can't find them in my recipe index, so will ensure that I post) and slow roasted Campino tomatoes on the vine. 

Alright - I think that I am going to try and sit back and enjoy the rest of the day - and try and talk myself out of going for both a run or a bike ride. Chris will be home shortly and I know that he'll be eager to go. Perhaps if I start walking with a limp now that he think that I am too injured and understand that it's not worthwhile that I go. :) What??? Is that wrong?

Have a great rest of your Sunday. Enjoy the sun - summer is almost here and there will be so many more days like this.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: