Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Take a picture it lasts longer.

Do you ever visualize yourself doing something? Or being somewhere? I hear people all the time saying 'visualize you doing it' or 'visualize what you want'. Typically when I am trying to visualize myself doing something - my mind wonders to stuff like chocolate, or what should I make for dinner tonight, or I would like to buy something new to wear. And sometimes in my mind I say stuff like 'visualize this*'. *the not so good finger.

There are other times when I try to picture/visualize (oh man, I can't even get the term right) being a mom. Having a child - walking with it, carrying it around, feeding it - all the stuff a mom would do. Sometimes it makes my heart hurt - I want it so bad - it's one of the things that I can visualize. I have faith that if I visualize it enough - that it will happen. 

So, last night it was the 2010 finale of Sole Sisters. Our 13 weeks have come to an end. This experience was very different for me this year. It wasn't as emotional; it didn't seem as hard although I know I had definite struggles. I think that the unknown was more familiar to me this year - and each week I think that I was recognizing the progress. I always know that my 'Running for my life' will always be a series. I really wish that I had kept up the series like I did last year - I love not only reading the physical journey that my life was taking but the emotional one too. I am not going to stop running like I did last year. I am going to continue making running be a part of my life. As much as part of me shutters when I write that - there is a part of me that has excitement to carry on this journey. 

Alright, so back to our last night. Mena asked us all to close our eyes and kind of talked us through the TC 10K on Sunday. She asked us to visualize ourselves out on the course. This is where I struggled. Oh man - my visual of myself was ugly. UG-LEEEE! Picture this (make sure you use my face) - me running; very slow; hunched over at the waist kind of leaning to the right side a bit. Neck is bent over, but the head is up - with a look of desperation as if I am not understanding the language that is being spoken around me - you know the 'huh?' look. For some reason I have cotton jogging pants hiked up at the waist and a light pink short sleeve tshirt tucked in tightly. My hair is pulled back in a pony tail. I have all white runners on. I seem to be really fixated on my posture. And, I wonder, why the heck can I not visualize myself standing up straight - running with confidence and at least wearing something that I would normally wear when I am out on a run? Why do I have to be so hard on myself even when I am visualizing myself? Why couldn't I picture myself being 125 lbs wearing a really cute outfit, running like a breeze and being so light on my feet?

So - over the next couple of days - I really need to work on this. I need to give myself credit where credit is due. Do my best - and push myself. I don't want to give up before the race gun even goes off.

On the bright side and to change the subject - I don't think that I mentioned this before - but we have set our wedding date - November 27th! That means that in just over 7 months we will be married! Hoorah! And I know that the next 7 months are going to go by so quickly. Way too quickly. I love it - b/c everyone who asks me about the date - they all say the same thing - have fun! Enjoy it b/c it all goes by so fast! It seems that it already has gone by so fast - and I really don't want any sort of 'panic-freak-out' to happen. We have meetings with a DJ and a photographer this weekend - and I feel that once this is set - we can focus on the stuff that I love - the stuff that to makes a party. 

For tonight's dinner - I made THIS. I HEART the Pioneer Woman. I will report on this recipe next time. It was delicious - but I altered it slightly as for me the measurements were off slightly. 

I do have a recipe for tonight though - it was Monday night's dinner - and it was a good'n.

Taco Salad


I make this salad quite a bit - I love it. I love the spicy chicken with the vegetables and the spice and having a dressing that isn't made up of oils and vinegars. I switched it up a bit this time - and think that it turned out pretty good. This recipe made enough for Chris and I to have a hearty salad for dinner and another one for lunch the next day. 

4-5 chicken breasts - chopped into small pieces
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
Juice of 1/2 a lime

Two tortillas 
Cooking spray

Romaine and/or head lettuce (I prefer the crispness of these lettuces)
1 pint of grape tomatoes
1 green pepper
2 yellow peppers
2 orange peppers - all chopped into bite size pieces
Shredded cheddar or mozzarella

Plain yogurt
Salsa
Guacamole*

For the taco bowls - all  you need is the flour tortillas, cooking spray a baking sheet and aluminum foil. Pre-heat the oven to 350. Cut two pieces of aluminum foil and scrunch them lightly to form a ball - it can be a very loose ball. On a parchment paper lined baking sheet, place the aluminum balls. With the cooking spray - lightly spray one side of the tortilla and then the other. Place the tortillas loosely on the balls - so that they will form a bowl (or something that may resemble that) as they cook. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes - or until the tortillas are crispy and not burnt :)

In a large skillet, add 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add the chicken and season with the garlic powder and cayenne pepper and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Saute until chicken is fully cooked. Add the fresh lime juice, mix together and set aside. This should take about 12-15 minutes.

Prepare all of your vegetables. 

Gently take your taco bowl - add the greens, the vegetables, the chicken, the cheese, and the toppings and you have a fancy and fun salad. 

I took a picture of this and thought that it was so lovely - but not practical to eat out of. So - I put it all in a bowl, gave it a good toss and then broke up the tortilla to eat along side the salad - it was still delicious.

*Guacamole - I love guacamole. I have an awesome seasoning from Epicure that I always like to have on hand. To make the guacamole, it is very easy. I use two avocados, juice of half a lime, 1/2 cup of plain low fat yogurt (it calls for sour cream but I like the yogurt better) and then the seasoning. If you don't have any sort of seasoning - you can use garlic powder, cayenne pepper, chili flakes - really whatever you like. Mix it all together so that it is creamy - and that's it!

Well friends - I am just finishing this up and watching the Canucks on PVR - please don't phone me to tell me the score. I know that they will win tonight - I have faith.

Until next time - be good.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: