Wednesday, April 7, 2010

What is 9x7?

Did you guess 63? If you did, you are right. But, if you guessed what we ran last night, then you are even more right. Before I ran last night, I was having difficulties doing math - and I thought it was 56 - whatever! I obviously don't practice my timetables as much I should. I used be so good at math - basic math. Quiz me! Just kidding! Ok - so last night we ran 9 minutes with a 1 minute walk in between - 7 times. That is 70 minutes in total! At first I wasn't thinking that it was going to be so long - but hello - 70 minutes is a lot!!! Whoa.

I started out slow. So slow. I stayed slow - but after the 2nd interval I no longer felt like I was dying - which is always a bonus. I was a little defeated last night - I knew I was slow and it bothered me. But then in the end - I did it - I finished it - ran my heart out and finished what I had started. I had great support from Leader Linda - and got to run a bit with a new running friend - Lisa. In the end - the entire group did their best - and it was a healthy night full of exercise and the fresh air!


So, as many of you know - Magnum went missing - but is now home. We missed him so. He is happy to be home - he likes his new dog tag that has his name and phone number on it - and he likes that life is back to normal. One thing that he missed completely when he was on his scary adventure, was Penny. Oh sweet Penny. Penny is our friends Tina and Jon's 11 month old Vizsla pup. She is a bundle of energy at one moment - and then a lap dog at the next. 
Penny is a sweetheart. Magnum likes Penny - but he is quite protective of his surroundings when other pups are around and pretty much just follows them around to see if they do anything that he hasn't done before. 

Ogre - Penny's nemesis - he is so proud of himself.

Penny ran like a deer on our dog walks as we searched far and wide for Magnum. Penny needed to be carried like a puppy to avoid Ogre the cat. Penny laid on my lap to snuggle up as much as she could. Penny laid in our bed whenever she could. Penny woke me up at 6:30Am to sneak out of her kennel and jump in our bed. And Penny was a pure delight. She is welcome any time.


I wanted to post one of the dishes that I made for Easter. Nachynka. What is that you say? Well, it is delicious and it is a Ukrainian dish that Mrs. Sherstan used to make each Easter. I remember my mom always loving it - so I wanted to surprise her with it. I didn't have Mrs. Sherstan's recipe - but the one that I found on the net was very close to her recipe. 

Nachynka is similar to cornbread - but creamier and not as heavy. It's more of a side dish - I guess slightly similar to polenta. I never tried it at Easter before - and am so wishing that I did - b/c I want to know how it compared to Mrs. S's. 

Nachynka
1/2 cup butter
1 cup cornmeal
3 cups of milk - I used 2 cups of cream and 1 cup of skim milk
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
Butter to lightly grease casserole dish

Pre-heat oven to 350.

In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add cornmeal and stir thoroughly to warm up the cornmeal. Slowly add the milk and stir continuously to ensure that the mixture is blended. 
Beat eggs in a separate bowl. Then beat in the salt, sugar and baking powder. Add a small amount of the milk/cornmeal mixture to the eggs and stir to temper the eggs. Once it is all mixed together, add the egg mixture to the cornmeal mixture. 
Pour the mixture into a casserole dish and bake until golden brown - about 30 minutes. 

I did make this ahead of time and let it sit until I was ready to put it in the oven. I think that this is ok to do - but if you do it this way - make sure to give it a good stir before placing it in the oven as the egg mixture will settle. 


It is a delicious dish - and I dare you to try it. NO!! I triple dog dare you. 

Tonight's dinner was a leftover turkey lurkey. I made a big turkey pot pie. One of Chris' absolute faves. You can find the recipe HERE. I also triple dog dare you to try this recipe. 


Ok friends - life is good.  I hope that you are enjoying your week. 

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah Shucks, you included me! I am glad that you had such a good run! I didn't, and couldn't wait to get out of there! Oh, I yearn for the days when it is a little bit easier!
Lisa