Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Looking for inspiration - looking, looking...

I went on a mission after work today to Michael's to see if I could find some inspiration for making our invitations. Amanda got her invitations at Michael's and I think that they are incredible. You can see them here. While I was there, a couple of things happened: 1. I was not inspired; and 2. I had to use the loo so badly that I couldn't concentrate - hence, I was lacking inspiration. I will go round 2 this week, with an empty bladder. I know what I want - I just get it set in my head and have a hard time moving away from that. I also had one of those 'oh my god, I'm getting married!!!' moments in there too. I just had never been in the 'wedding' aisle before and I thought - wow, you know, I haven't had to shop for wedding stuff before. Sigh.



I made this for dinner last week. It was a quick dinner. I had a craving for something like this - something a little spicy, creamy and relatively light. I cheated and bought a jar of Butter chicken sauce, and a small can of coconut milk. I didn't know that they had the small cans - just like a tomato paste can. 

1 onion
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts - chopped into small pieces
1 cauliflower - chopped into small pieces
1 red, green and yellow pepper 
1 zucchini - chopped into small pieces
1 can of white navy beans
1 cello bag of spinach
1 jar of butter chicken sauce
1 small can of coconut milk

In a large skillet saute the onion. Add the chicken and saute for about 4 minutes. Add the butter chicken sauce and the coconut milk, continue simmering. After about 5 minutes add all of the vegetables and beans, except for the spinach. Let the dish simmer for 15 minutes until the veggies are at the consistency that you like, and then add the spinach as it only takes a couple of minutes to cook. 

And that's it! I served this with Naan bread. Chris loved it and rated it a 5!

Speaking of Chris' rating system - something that he has used for many, many years. He never really rated my food - but I always got a 'this is the best thing that I have ever eaten'. So recently, I have noticed that there are two shows on tv - basically with this concept. One is called 'The Best Thing I've Ever Ate' and 'The Best Of'. Do you think that they're copying me? 


On our little getaway this past weekend, I picked up a bottle of Balsamic Vinegar. It is more of a creamier balsamic vinegar - and it is delicious. I love it when you find something that brings out the taste in food. I whipped up a greek salad tonight - just tomatoes and peppers, and then added some goat cheese, a very small drizzle of olive olive and then probably a tsp of this balsamic vinegar - and omg! the flavour is unreal. Such a simple dish, but the flavour of the vinegar makes it taste like oh so much more. 

That's it for me for tonight. I am signing off. 

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: