Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother.

happy mothers day. 

Wishing all of the lovely moms a very happy Mothers Day. I hope that you all were spoiled and loved by your loved ones.

Jules and I hit the road early this morning - heading out to the Rootcellar and to the Way for a little more groceries. It was a beautiful day here today - so sunny, a reminder that summer is just around the corner. 

I have so grateful for my mom. She is so generous, kind, fun, loving, supportive and thoughtful. She is there when I need her. She is an incredible grandma, sister and aunt. And she is so good to my Chris - who also loves her oh so much. Thank you so much mom - thanks for everything you do, and all that you are. And although you make me crazy sometimes - it's entertaining - and I love you through it all.

To celebrate Mothers Day this year - I didn't focus on not being a mom - I remember this time last year when I was in a real funk. I have wanted to be a mom for so long and it just hasn't happened. This year, Mothers Day has come and gone - and I think that there has been so much going on lately that I forgot to remember that I shouldn't stress out about this, and should just let nature take it's course. 

I have some exciting news about this weekend - but will post that tomorrow and focus on Mothers Day and the feast that we had.

On the menu, we had:

Goat cheese topped with peach chipotle jelly

Mini turkey burgers (NO picture!!! What's up with that??)

Roasted tomatoes on the vine

Roasted rosemary potatoes (What??? No pictures either. What is wrong with me??)

Grilled steak with creamed swiss chard

Cheesecake with blueberry bruschetta

For tonight I will post the good stuff. Dessert!!! Who doesn't love dessert? No seriously, who doesn't? If I find you - prepare yourself for a very long question and answer period.

I was sent this cheesecake recipe about a month ago - and was going to give it a try and just didn't have the occasion to make it. The other day I was thinking of my love affair that I have with blueberries - I have baked with them a couple of times lately - and I just love them. I knew that I was going to make the cheesecake and wanted a topping - so naturally, blueberries came to mind. I was trying to be a bit creative, and I thought that I would like to try making something like bruschetta. 

I like cheesecake. It's not my most favourite dessert, but I like it. I really, really, REALLY liked this recipe. It was so light, so creamy and so uber deelish. If you are a fan of cheesecake - I would recommend this one.

Cheesecake

Crust: 
2 cups graham wafer crumbs (or you can use oatmeal cookies, gingersnaps or vanilla wafers)
1/4 cup of sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter

In a large bowl, mix together the graham wafers and the sugar. In a saucepan melt the butter. Add the butter to the dry ingredients and combine together. Place the crumbs in a large springform pan - press the crumbs evenly on the bottom and then up the sides about 1/4 inch from the top of the pan. Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate while making the filling.

Pre-heat oven to 350.

Filling:
4 8 ounce packages of light cream cheese
1 cup of sugar
3 tbsp of flour
5 large eggs - room temperature
1/3 cup of whipping cream
Zest of a half of lemon

In a large bowl, cream together the cream cheese, sugar and flour - cream for about 2 minutes. Add each egg one at a time and mixing after each egg is added. Once the eggs are added, add the whipping cream and lemon zest. Mix until completely creamy. Place the filling into the springform pan and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 250 and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes. 

Topping:
1 cup of sour cream (avoid low fat or fat free)
2 tbsp of sugar

Combine ingredients and set in fridge while cake is baking.

Once cake is done baking remove from oven and place on a cooling rack. Gently top the cake with the topping, and bake for another 15 minutes. 

Let cool and prepare yourself with pure decadence.

Blueberry Bruschetta

I am really excited about this and will definitely make it again. This was my last bag of blueberries from last summer's addiction to them where I was freezing enough of them to keep me supplied for the year. 

2 cups of blueberries - fresh or frozen. If you are using frozen - place them in a coffee filter in a colander and let them thaw.
4 strawberries - chopped into very small pieces 
1 tbsp of maple syrup
6 basil leaves - chiffonade
Zest of half a lemon
1 tbsp of creamy balsamic vinegar

In a bowl, mix together all of the ingredients - refrigerate - and let sit at room temperature for a little while before serving. 

The flavour of the balsamic vinegar, with lemon zest and basil was so refreshing. 

Well, as we turn in for the night - I hope that you all had a wonderful day. That you had a lovely weekend - and ready to start out a week good and strong.

Loves.

Enjoy! 

No comments: