Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Angels.

Beautiful Birthday Girl!!

Yesterday was my mom's birthday. She had a great surprise - my uncle, her brother, came over the day - they hung out - did things like brother and sisters do - and then we ended the night by stopping at a pub before taking him to the ferry. She loved her day - which is great. So happy for her. 

Yesterday, June 1st, is also my dad's birthday. I miss him all the time, but on days like yesterday, I just miss him that little bit more. In the morning I ran to Save On to pick something up for lunch - I knew I would have a craving for something sweet later on so picked up some mints. When I got back to work and had a few - I hadn't even thought about it - that the mints were my dad's favourite and I picked them up on his day. Ok - my dad loved scotch mints. He would eat them like potato chips. It would crack me up. My mom can suck on a mint for an hour. In that hour my dad could of had 50. He wouldn't have though - b/c he knew better. Actually it's possible that he could have.

One year, my dad and I did a road trip to the Queen Charlottes. We were scoping out the island as he was going to be riding his bike there in the fall. That story will be told on another time. What I can tell you now is - is that I am(was) so proud of him. He rode his bike from Kitimat to the Queen Charlottes!!! We stopped at a small store and bought a jumbo bag (JUMBO) of scotch mints. I can still picture him - he was eating them like they were popcorn, driving at 10 and 2, listening to some country station and probably laughing at my silly jokes. 

A couple of years ago I went to a Tea Leaf Reader. I had never had anything like that done before. It was a pretty incredible experience. The woman that I had said that I was surrounded by spirits and actually described people that I definitely knew who they were. At one point, she told me that someone was telling her to tell me that they had mints. It was unreal. It was such a random thing to say that I knew that it was meant to be.

So... I am not sure if you believe in that sort of thing - and I am definitely not here to preach about this - but it was an experience that made me truly believe that we all have angels or spirits around us. It is days like yesterday, that although they are sad, they give me a bit of peace and allow me to remember all of the wonderful memories that I have. 

Tonight's dinner was supposed to be lime chili chicken (inspired by the PW and Steph) but instead after a long and windy bike ride home and a cold and windy dog walk - I wanted a big 'ol bowl of comfort food. I haven't made pasta (except for on the weekend when I made orzo salad) in quite awhile and thought that it would be deelish. This is a very easy dish - something that I have made variations of before - but it's an easy dinner and flavourful.


Meatballs and Orzo

Turkey meatballs - I had a bunch that I had made before that were in the freezer. I defrosted and reheated for about 30 minutes in the oven.
1 onion - chopped
1 red and yellow pepper - chopped
3 cloves of garlic - minced
1/2 cup of red wine
1 can of diced tomatoes - drained
1/3 cup of flat leaf parsely - coarsely chopped
1/4  cup of sage - coarsely chopped 
Orzo - boiled for 5 minutes - drained but not rinsed (I used a half a bag - and this will make enough for at least 6 meals)

In a large skillet, saute onion in a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of kosher salt for about 7 minutes over medium heat. Add the chopped peppers and garlic. Saute for another 5 minutes. Add red wine. Simmer for 2-3 minutes and then add the tomatoes and chopped herbs. Add the meatballs and orzo, give it a good toss and let the sauce simmer for another 20 minutes. 

Simple. Easy. Delicious.

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Pilar said...

Its so true Cheryl, I believe we are surrounded by angels and they take care of us. I can't believe what that tea lady told ya, its incredible! But I believe on those things, why not? We can't really provide answers, because the answers we are looking for aren't to be logical, they just are! Always remember that even if our loved ones passed away, they are always with us, we just need to allow ourselves to feel touched by them once in a while. Tomorrow its my mom's birthday, I miss her so much too. But we shall celebrate their lives forever. P.S. Cake didn't burn ! :)