Friday, June 18, 2010

Cooking lesson - Dessert.

I scream. You scream. We all scream for Ice Cream.

When I was a young girl - I was so envious of all of my friends and other girls my age that could do that high pitch scream. The scream that goes so high that it is almost at that glass breaking range. You know, when your playing tag, and then all of a sudden it's you that is being chased and then all of a sudden you just let out a scream? Do you know it? Well, I never could do the high pitch. Mine was always this raspy, deep, yell. No scream. Nothing. I picture that if I really needed to be heard - and I was heard - that people would have been like 'where is the man that is yelling?' Not very attractive I guess. Anyways, I so was envious of those girls. They would have been the Mariah Carey's of screaming and I would have been the Melissa Etheridge screamer. 

Wow - my deepest darkests are coming out.

Now, let's get to the good stuff. Ice Cream. Oh how I love thee. I really do. Always have. I love it pretty much every single way that you can imagine. My favourite of all time is anything with chocolate, vanilla, strawberries, caramel, oreo cookies, chocolate, chocolate and probably some sort of chocolate. I used to in my very young years, love bubblegum. I would hold the bubblegums in my hand until the ice cream and cones were done - and then I would chew the gum. I am guessing that you can imagine how messy this would have got. Real messy. Just ask my sister sometime - she will be oh so happy to tell you about it. To this day, although I try to eat my ice cream in a very ladylike way - I still get it all over me. 

The inspiration for our dessert for our cooking lesson, believe it or not, was the cutest little waffle maker that my mom got for me for Christmas this past year. I wanted to use it to make small little waffle cones. I had a recipe for ice cream that I had made before that I thought would go deliciously with the cones - but then, I found (what I didn't know would become my new favourite) another recipe that I knew I needed to try. Coconut ice cream.

Now wait - before you move on to your next favourite blog - you DO NOT need an ice cream maker! I am being serious. You just need a pan, a freezer and a spoon. Wait! Please don't go to another blog!  This really is right up there with one of the easiest things to make. It takes some time - but the kind of time that you can have a nap, read a book, paint your toe nails... while making it. 

Toasted Coconut Ice Cream with Lemon Waffles

1 can Coconut Milk
1 can Evaporated Skimmed Milk
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 cup - coconut - save some for garnish - 1/4 cup should be fine
Zest of half a lemon

To toast the coconut, place it in a heavy pan (cast iron if you have one) and heat it over medium-high heat until golden brown.

In a large bowl, mix all of the milks together, add the toasted coconut and the zest of the lemon. Mix all of this together and place it in a 9x12 baking dish. Place it in your freezer, uncovered, and stir very often. And that's it! 

It's important to continue stirring it. If it is left to freeze without being stirred, it will become a frozen block. 

We added blackberries - and although they were delicious - we would have omitted them from the ice cream. 

Waffles with Lemon Zest

2/3 cup softened butter
Lemon zest from half a lemon
1/2 tsp vanilla
4 eggs
1 cup + 2 tbsp flour
2 pinches of baking powder
Kosher salt
Oil for waffle grill

Beat the butter, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla together until it is fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time. In a separate bowl, mix the flour baking powder and slowly add (or sift if you have one) to the butter/egg mixture, stirring it all together. Set aside for 10 minutes.

Pre-heat the waffle grill and lightly grease the pan. Using a small ladle, add about 3 tbsp at a time to the waffle grill and heat for 3 minutes. Depending on your grill, like the one I have - the waffles need to be flipped. 

The lemon zest in the waffles is so light - but so flavourful. They were just perfect, and I can't wait to make them again. These would also make a very nice breakfast. 

Chris rated this a 5!!

All in all the cooking lesson was a lot of fun and we all learned a lot. I have some new favourite recipes and I hope that you give them all or one or two a try. If you do, let me know how they turned out for you.

The weekend is here - HOORAH FOR THE WEEKEND!! Oh my, how I have waited for you this week.

Have a good one.

Loves.

Enjoy!!!

No comments: