Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Cooking lesson - Side Dish

Cooking lesson - Main course. 

I should have been posting this earlier - but life has been a bit busy. I spent 2 days in Kennewick, WA for work. We had a good time, and learned lots. I had a delicious pizza at a brew pub - so I am definitely going to try and duplicate it for you folks.

I also did a lot of gardening on the weekend - trying to transform the backyard from slumsville to a little bit of paradise for us. Really I could have some plants and my lounger in the sun, and it would feel like paradise. 

For the main course's side dish, we used Quinoa. Quinoa - know what it is? My Auntie Babs sent me this link - it is great and is full of the benefits and some recipes.  I had never cooked with it before our first lesson, I had tried a small amount of it in a salad, and thought that it was ok. When we decided we were making a Mexican main dish, I didn't think that a salad would go as nicely as rice would - so I thought it was a good idea to try making the Quinoa similar to how we would rice - and therefore decided to make Spanish Style Quinoa.

Spanish Style Quinoa

Olive oil
1 onion - chopped
1 cup of Quinoa 
1 green pepper - chopped 
2 cups of chicken stock - or water
1 10 oz can of diced tomatoes
2 tsp chili powder
Canned/jarred jalepeno peppers - chopped - use as many as you like for the heat

In a skillet over medium heat, saute the onion, quinoa and pepper until the quinoa is lightly browned and the onions are soft. Stir in the stock and the canned tomatoes, and add the jalepenos and chili powder. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stirring regularly.

After 30 minutes, it is ready to serve. The quinoa should have expanded like rice would, and still have a nice light crunch to it.

Chris rated this a 5!!!

I would definitely make this again. I think that it would be good to add corn to this or even more peppers. And as another little treat - you could add a small amount of shredded cheese.

If you give this a try, let me know!

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: