Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Guest Chef - Pilar

Hello Summer fans. I think that it is finally here. Not sure if it is here to stay - but it is definitely here. I rushed home from work today - put on some shorts and a tank - and headed to the deck to do a little catch up bloggin'. Mon and Tues this night I had friends visiting - so ran out of time - I was eager to do a little posting.


Monday - first day of Summer - June 21st - was also our wee Magnum's birthday. He's 2! I know, some people might find that knowing your pets birthday is odd - but I don't. We don't do a big party or anything - seriously - there are people that do though - but he did get a little treat of steak. We can't imagine him life without him - and we almost did have to - remember that??
He is such a loving little pup - and he is a great companion to his grumpy sister.

I am pretty excited - that since I am a bit behind on my recipes - I actually have a bit of a recipe bank. It's not making me money or anything - and won't help me retire early, but it does help when I am bored with a dinner I have made and don't want to share it with you. I just go to the bank - grab one - and my work is done. 

Today - although I seem to have a bit more time than normal - I am going use a recipe from the bank. I have a lot of watering ahead of me tonight - and plan to do a bit of R&R.

I am excited to post a recipe from a Guest Chef - Pilar.  I work with Pilar. She is a very funny girl - and makes the work day go by much easier when she is entertaining. When I first called her to come in for an interview - I was pronouncing her name 'Peelar'. She didn't correct me for quite sometime. Embarrassing. Pilar inspired us to make a Mexican dish for our Cooking Lesson - and I was very happy with her suggestion.

This recipe was inspired by a recipe from the Food Network and she made it for her partner Laura's birthday. I am definitely going to try making this dessert - as I can only imagine what a fan favourite it is.

Meet Pilar:


What is your favourite food?  Mole is my most favourite meal of all time. The smell, the flavour, the many ways of eating it and the many types of Mole are just a little piece of heaven on earth.  My favourite mole is from Oaxaca.

If you could have dinner with one person who would it be? What would you eat? I think ( do not mean to get all mushy ) but I would love to have dinner with my mom one more time, my sister and my dad would also be there and we would go to what used to be our favourite restaurant , it does not exist anymore but it used to be a Swiss restaurant, they had the best trout there, awesome pate,  cheese fondue, and many other great dishes. We used to have a lot of fun together there and nice chats, it would be awesome to talk to her at this age and time. *sigh*

What is your favourite kitchen utensil?  My favourite utensil has to be the 'spatula' even the same is AWESOME.. try it say it out loud: pass me the spatula, ooo red blue yellow spatula, SPAAAAAAAATULAAAA. Also spatulas are super helpful, bendy and pick up everything you left behind so it does not go to waste. I wonder if this is a psychological test, I wonder if by telling you my favourite utensil you will be able to find something about myself or my life. Will I win the lottery? 

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake

Ingredients
For the cake
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used about a table spoon instead)
1 cup buttermilk (I used maybe a bit more... probably half a cup more)
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
For decorating
1 ½ – 2 batches peanut butter frosting 
Miniature Reese’s cups, halved and/or chopped

Directions
1. For the cake, center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350°. Butter two 9×2” round cake pans, dust the insides with flour, tap out the excess and line the bottoms with rounds of parchment paper. Place the pans on a baking sheet.  (I Actually only used ONE 9x10'' round pan)
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

3. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until soft and creamy. Add the sugar and beat for about 2 minutes, until thoroughly blended into the butter. Add the eggs and yolks one at a time, beating for one minute after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk; add the dry ingredients in 3 additions and the buttermilk in 2 (beginning and ending with the dry ingredients). Mix each addition only until it is blended into the batter. Scrape down the bowl and add the melted chocolate, if using, folding it in with a spatula. Divide the batter between the prepared cake pans. 4. Bake for 26-30 minutes or until the cakes feel springy to the touch and start to pull away from the sides of the pans. Transfer to wire racks to cool for about 5 minutes, then run a knife around the sides of the cakes, unmold them and peel off the paper liners. Invert and cool to room temperature right side up.
5. To assemble the cake, place one cake layer on a cardboard circle covered in foil. Spread peanut butter frosting on top of the cake layer. (If desired, sprinkle with chopped Reese’s cups.) Place the second cake layer on top of the frosting. Frost the top and outside of the cake with remaining peanut butter frosting. Decorate with halved and chopped Reese’s cups as desired.

Peanut Butter Icing:
·        1 cup confectioners' sugar
·        1 cup creamy peanut butter
·        5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
·        3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
·        1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
·        1/3 cup heavy cream

Place the confectioners' sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium-low speed until creamy, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula as you work. Add the cream and beat on high speed until the mixture is light and smooth. 

Ok - if your mouth is not watering already, we shouldn't be friends. Just kidding!! I heart you.

Alright friends - I hope that you are enjoying the sun.

Loves.

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Pilar said...

Thank you Cheryl! It was super fun! :) The cake is called 'healthy in my dreams' hahaha !