Saturday, June 26, 2010

Summa time.

Beside Yard Barb's beautiful rose - one of many

It's been a great summer day. It's been a great day all around. I haven't done much. I am trying to not feel guilty about this. I feel that when it's the weekend that we should be out enjoying every minute of it - being at the beach, hiking, sitting on a balcony of some pub... and then I remind myself that it was a long week and it's ok to just want to stay close to home, enjoy our deck, make a good dinner, do some chores, and just relax. 

This past week was a bit of an emotional week. I won't get into it - but my patience have been tried and my insecurities are apparent. I am fortunate to have a wonderful best friend/fiance, supportive friends and a loving family. 

Chris and I just came in from having dinner on the deck. I forgot to take a picture of dinner - but I slow roasted a pork shoulder (gross to say it that way) with a bunch of spicy spices, and then whipped up a sauce to add to the pulled pork that I was done. It was a spicy tomato with roasted onions and garlic and jalepenos. I made a fresh batch of guacamole to put on top. And then whipped up a batch of my new 'addiction' Quinoa - in the rice cooker with peppers. 

If you haven't tried the quinoa - but want to - I would recommend doing it in the rice cooker. It's my favourite way, over boiling it. It has the same measurements as rice - 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups of water. And that's it. What I have been doing that I love - is as soon as it is cooked, I put it in a big bowl and squeeze a lemon over, season it with kosher salt & pepper, and then put it in the fridge to let it cool. And then do a greek salad to go with - adding only a small touch of olive oil and cider vinegar.

I bought a big bunch of locally grown organic strawberries last week at the Root Cellar. They were gorgeous - and if I had read the sign right when I first picked them up - I may not have brought them home. They were a bit pricey - but so worth it. As Chris likes to say 'You can't put a price on health' - so I don't feel too guilty when I indulge on something healthy.

I was going to try making freezer jam with them - but that seemed like a bit too much work. So instead I found a recipe online for Strawberry Lemonade - and thought that I would make something similar. This is super easy - and super delicious. Next time I will definitely add the vodka. Yumma! (PS - there are a lot of pics of this - b/c I couldn't get over how vibrant the red of the strawberries were - so beautiful).


Strawberry Lemonade

4-5 cups of fresh strawberries - hulled
Juice of 2 lemons
Zest of 1 lemon
Carbonated water
Sugar to taste

In your blender add the strawberries, lemon juice, zest of the lemon and 1 tbsp of sugar (you may want to add more if you don't want it to be so tart). Puree the ingredients together so that you have a nice smooth consistency.

Pour the mixture into single glasses or a jug. If you are using single glasses - fill the glasses half way with the strawberry mixture. Add the carbonated water - slowly - and stir to mix it all together. 


And that's it! I think that you can make an 'adult friendly' version by adding a bit of vodka - and it would be delicious. I also think that you could do this with blackberries too - or do a combo of different berries.

Giddy up!!

Loves.

Enjoy!!

No comments: