Thursday, June 3, 2010

'Tis the Season.

I love BBQ season. I love it for a lot of different reasons: 1. It reminds me that summer is here; 2. BBQ chicken; 3. Burgers; Roasted vegetables; Dinners outside; Family and friends over; and my favourite - Chris does the cooking. We're a good team that way. I prep - and he cooks. It's my fave. He loves to BBQ too - so he takes his time and makes sure that dinner is cooked just right*. 

*Except for my mom's birthday party - he made the steak the way he likes it - rare - far too rare for me and others. 

Tonight we did a nice BBQ - Chris did the cooking and I sat on my Royal Canadian. Well not really - but I did sit back - it was a good treat.

We grilled up some chicken and some sweet red peppers. Let me show you:

Grilled chicken with a sweet lime and chili sauce

Juice of 2 limes
2 tbsp of liquid honey
2 garlic cloves - minced
1 tsp of red hot chili flakes - or more if you like it really spicy
2 tbsp of olive oil
Pinch of kosher salt 
Boneless skinless chicken breasts - I had 5 breasts and the sauce was enough for all of the chicken

Juice your limes and add it to a small bowl. Whisk in the honey and then add the garlic. Then whisk in the olive oil, and add the chili flakes and the salt. 

Brush one side of all of the breasts with the marinade and place the marinaded side down on the grill. Let it cook for about 8 - 10 minutes. Before flipping, brush the other side (generously) with the leftover sauce. Cook for another 8-10 minutes - until chicken is cooked through.


And that's it. The flavour of the sauce on the chicken is so refreshing and flavourful. 

Roasted Sweet Red Peppers

There really isn't a recipe for this. I washed them. Chris brushed them with a bit of the sauce from above - but even if you didn't want to do that - you can grill them just as they are. Grill them until they are blackened, slightly. I served them whole on the plate with the chicken, and they were divine. I love grilled vegetables, especially peppers.

It was a good dinner - and it was a nice treat to only have to do half of it.

The weekend is here - it is so almost here. I can't wait for it. My nephew is hanging with us tomorrow night - and on Saturday. I will be watching one of his games - my first of the year. Let's hope that it's not raining. 

I hope you all have the most exciting plans.

Loves. 

Enjoy!

No comments: